Looking Into Building A Neck Through 5-string Bass

Im looking to build a 5 string guitar with a neck though body (i know what kind of woods i'd like to use and they are all tonal etc.

Where do i beguing other than designing the bass... How do i make a neck through bass basically... And is this the place to get the advice to build my 1st guitar?

Thanks for anyone and everyones help.

~Tim

Sure is. I've built some set necks... but I'm working on my first neckthru, and first bass right now. I start by drawing everything out full size. Drawing into it how wide my neck-thru blank is. Then from that I know how I have to cut out the wings. I cut the wings out, then i essentially build the whole neck, fretted and everything EXCEPT for like hte 1st inch before it meets the body. I then glue them together, and use various tools to make the meeting of neck and body smooth and gorgeous. Other than those specifics, the same skills required for ALL the guitars you'll see aorund here are required for the neck-thru.

Chris

Yes this is the right place to start building a bass. Your best friend is the search function. Search on the word "books" to start with and spend the next few weeks or months just reading up on the whole process.

1st off phil. nice work on the olive wood guitar...

I havn't had much luck with finding any info. on the "how to's" though. Any further help?

Once again, thanks for any and all help.

~Tim

Thanks Tim but it's a bass not a guitar :D

Get yourself a copy of Melvyn Hiscock's "Make your own electric guitar" to learn how to design and build your neck through bass (and the other two styles too)

As I've said just read up like a maniac for a little while. Websites like mine, which you've obviously read, will give you a lot of tips and trics. Just go through a whole bunch of in progress threads to give you an idea and a feel for the whole process. Make sure you've read most tutorials on the main site too and re-read them until you understand everything. Once all that is done is the time to start designing and putting your ideas to wood.

:D

This sorta depends on what you want more, the custom instrument or the experience of having done the full build. If the instrument is your priority, I'd suggest going with a Carvin neck-thru blank and adding your own wings-top-hardware, and finishing as you like.

If you're really into a scratch build, then you really need to start with a quality neck blank...and by that, I mean the ability to make one that is straight, square and of uniform thickness. Think thickness planer or sander, jointer and also glue press if you're going with a laminated neck.

ordered 4 books tonight off amazon. we'll see if i can learn something while i get my workshop in the basement together, etc.

-Constructing a Solid-Body Guitar: A Complete Technical Guide - Roger H. Siminoff

--Make Your Own Electric Guitar - Hiscock

---The Art of Inlay: Design and Technique for Fine Woodworking - Larry Robinson

----The Art of Wood Inlay - George Stevens

Obviously i gotta build the guitar before i get into inlays etc. but i really enjoy the fine detailing and all (i'm big on scroll sawing, a very intracate art in my opinion.) I'm hoping to get the workshop area compleate within the next month or so and hopefully I'll be able to begin working on the bass prject (pending i understand all the how to's)

Anymore suggestions as far as learning the guitar building tricks, please feel free to fill me in.

Thanks for everyones help,

~Tim Bonner :D

ordered 4 books tonight off amazon. we'll see if i can learn something while i get my workshop in the basement together, etc.

-Constructing a Solid-Body Guitar: A Complete Technical Guide - Roger H. Siminoff

--Make Your Own Electric Guitar - Hiscock

---The Art of Inlay: Design and Technique for Fine Woodworking - Larry Robinson

----The Art of Wood Inlay - George Stevens

Obviously i gotta build the guitar before i get into inlays etc. but i really enjoy the fine detailing and all (i'm big on scroll sawing, a very intracate art in my opinion.) I'm hoping to get the workshop area compleate within the next month or so and hopefully I'll be able to begin working on the bass prject (pending i understand all the how to's)

Anymore suggestions as far as learning the guitar building tricks, please feel free to fill me in.

Thanks for everyones help,

~Tim Bonner :D

I ordered the Hiscock book 3 months ago and spent the month before that, and the 3 months after reading through sites and viewing build threads...........I think that's the best thing to do, I actually feel semi confident that this is going to work and for my first build I'm doing a neck through 5 string fanned fret bass. I got the wood yesterday! I'll be gluing the neck tomorrow and marking everything for my scarf joint over the weekend...........