Beater Acoustic

Desopolis

I have my frankenstein strat and im currently building two more guitars. So far im almost 2k in special tools, parts, woods, hardware, and equipment.

I have never had a left handed acoustic, but ive played alot of right handed ones upside down. But I really want one for when I just want to practice simple stuff, or take it out camping etc. Plus the sound is totaly different.

Id love a nice taylor, martin, or hand made piece but honestly, for that kind of money and me being a new luthier, I only see myself getting angry for not trying to make it. Eventually I will, but I want to get a few things down, and Im a instant gratification kind of guy at this point.

I've looked arround a bit, theres some cheap fenders that sound twangy, decent yamahas and some off names.

the shop by me has a mahogony back/side/neck solid spruce top Alverez that I liked, but its made in china and that kinda put me off. But i look back at it, and as long as it sounded ok and lasted a year I wouldnt care.

whats your opinion?

have a brand recomendation?

I have my frankenstein strat and im currently building two more guitars. So far im almost 2k in special tools, parts, woods, hardware, and equipment.

I have never had a left handed acoustic, but ive played alot of right handed ones upside down. But I really want one for when I just want to practice simple stuff, or take it out camping etc. Plus the sound is totaly different.

Id love a nice taylor, martin, or hand made piece but honestly, for that kind of money and me being a new luthier, I only see myself getting angry for not trying to make it. Eventually I will, but I want to get a few things down, and Im a instant gratification kind of guy at this point.

I've looked arround a bit, theres some cheap fenders that sound twangy, decent yamahas and some off names.

the shop by me has a mahogony back/side/neck solid spruce top Alverez that I liked, but its made in china and that kinda put me off. But i look back at it, and as long as it sounded ok and lasted a year I wouldnt care.

whats your opinion?

have a brand recomendation?

You can buy a LOT of very well made acoustics. You need to really look close at the construction and set-up if you get below the $500 range(as most above that seem to be darn good guitars with very few flaws*if any). If you inspect it and it looks really good. Play it and if you love the sound that is what counts. Honestly there is a point on high end acoustics where it is more about looks and subtle differences in how the guitar sounds. You can get a totally great sounding guitar in the modest price range, just do your homework on set-up, finish and general condition and trust your ears to pick the right one.

Peace,Rich