Hollowbody Archtop

So i got a up close picture of the joint... its a pritty bad picture but its the best i could do with my phone

i'll try again tom.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/mi...g/neckclose.jpg

I will make the truss rod adjustment screw at the end of the neck instead of at the headstock so i wont have to route threw the joint which means more strength at the joint. I was planning on staining it a cherry red but the two different body woods are going to give me to different reds and i'll b able to make out the screwed up neck joint so i think im going to settle on painting the guitar.

Edited by mickeysg

You are at a crossroad in your project. If you do not think the joint went well. You would be wise to stop and think about a do-over. I backed off my stand on the joint because Jon believes it is an adequit joint configuration(and I am not going to say he is wrong, because it is only my opinion and I am a hobbiest same as he). That said..

I have seen the joints done before, although I cannot say how stable they are over a 5, 10, 15 etc. year period. My whole point to using fingerjoints would be that they'd work great if you got them tight. It's obvious that there are more surfaces that have to be cut just right to insure a 100% tight fit. As I stated, as long as you get it nice and tight it will offer sufficient strength. From the looks of it, the joint was not done tight enough, as there are several gaps visible. It's hard to tell with the quality of the picture, though. I'm with Rich on this one though, you may want to stop and think about what you're going to do.

If the joints have gaps, it's not going to work out. Sorry man. I say route it at a specific angle (13?) and scarf joint that neck. I'll gladly ship out a piece of Walnut or whatever wood for a small headstock for you for free.

I couldnt get a better picture of the joint but judging it today with it in my hands i think it will do. The next obstacle is making the truss rod and then routing the truss rod channel if anyone has any preferred ways of making them then please share the knowledge... i was scratching my noggin today for a long time