Now Some Strange Spots In My Wood!

fyb

I just can't win lately :D

I was planing my sapele down to size to glue up a body blank, and I notcied these spots appear. That are they? Is it something cause by my planer? It's a brand new (though inexpensive) planer so the blades should be decent. There are a few spots on the front like these and the back!

spot1.jpg

What can I do about these? I can't plane down too much more or my guitar will be too thin. I had originally planned on doing the guitar all in sapele @ 1 3/4" thick . . . and I don't have much room to play with (the wood was 1 7/8" when I got it anyway).

Any help would be appreciated!!!

One more pic of another spot here.

And the blank would be beautiful if not for these spots.

what happens when you rub it with sand paper?

I had a few burn marks when running my stuff through alot of machines...

I rubbed it a bit and it didn't go away ... granted I was too afraid to make a dent or something :D

How can you avoid burn marks? I try to keep my planer dust free (as much as possible anyway) and it only has 1 speed setting.

Thanks for the info though, Desopolis! :D

Yes, we need to know if it is a 'divit' in the wood, or it's simply a spot with no change in the wood structure.

Basically, is it a soft wormhole or something, or is the wood in perfect shape, just a weird little design spot?

The wood's perfectly flat across the spots and the grain continues through it, but discolored.

Assuming that it's a bench planer you are talking about I would say that what you are seeing is probably in the wood itself. I only say that because if it were the planer you would see the spots in uniform location.

Sometimes wood has stuff hidden under it's layers.

Like I said before, I think it looks good.

If it really bothers you, just cut arund them and mail me the scraps :D

Edited by JohnRossitter

Assuming that it's a bench planer you are talking about I would say that what you are seeing is probably in the wood itself. I only say that because if it were the planer you would see the spots in uniform location.

Sometimes wood has stuff hidden under it's layers.

Like I said before, I think it looks good.

If it really bothers you, just cut arund them and mail me the scraps :D

:D

It's a 13" Ryobi (I work at Home Depot and my paycheck was burning a hole in my pocket!).

I think I may use this blank for an LP DC, instead of more of a strat style as I was planning. That will hopefull let me cut around the spots.

Ok, let me be the one to revert back to high school and say...

Now Some Strange Spots In My Wood! See a Dr.

I rubbed it a bit and it didn't go away ... granted I was too afraid to make a dent or something. Stop...Too much

I'm sorry, I had to. But +12 for being in the wood. And i'm guessing the strat pickguard won't cover it? It doesn't seem to be distracting to me though