Painting Basics...

Southpa

OK, I'm uploading a series of short videos given to me by a friend. I was studying like crazy for a scaler/cleaner position at a local shipyard and he happened to have some good info for me. Its all related to industrial metal prep and painting but the principles still apply to anything you paint. The first one deals with evaporative solvent type coatings like lacquer.

Uploading video (these are Quicktimes btw) is new to me and I grabbed the first video hosting facility I saw, it happened to be Google. Not quite sure I like it yet and I welcome any alternative suggestions.

I'm only posting this because:

1) I haven't seen the like, ie. this form of information in such an easy to understand format, in my internet travels before.

2) I've seen LOTS of people in the past asking why their lacquer, or finish job in general, was not curing right, bubbling, etc. etc. This will help you better understand some of those things. For example, laying lacquer too thickly traps solvent. The solvent in the lacquer needs to "gas off". If the surface of the lacquer cures into a skin then solvent becomes trapped, add some atmospheric heat and you wind up with bubbles.

Anyway, let me know if this works ok, quick enough? etc. Also, let me know if you want to see the rest of them dealing with the function of:

Binders

emulsions (acrylic latex, epoxy emulsions, etc.)

solvents

Types of polymerization (CA glue, epoxies, polyurethane, etc.)

Oxidative ploymerization (alkyds, some epoxies, vegetable based oils eg. linseed, tung etc.)

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=221...85&hl=en-CA

Edited by Southpa