Neck Thru Firebird

Well here it is on the chopping board for comments. I am in the process of building a Firebird neck thru. It is a 25.5 scale with laminated flamed maple and sandwiched walnut. Wings include ebony strips with figured kornia. The neck is angled 3 degres to accomidate a TOM bridge. It will also have a 24 fret neck and I will be increasing the access to the upper frets from the original firebird design. It will also have a bookmatched figured maple top.

8c89scd.jpg

Thanks For LOOking!

Daniel

Edited by Daniel R

Looking good!

The 'modified for fretboard access' version is aesthetically better too imo, not just practically.

Looking good!

The 'modified for fretboard access' version is aesthetically better too imo, not just practically.

You know I was thinking the same thing, even before I saw your post. I am not normally a firebird guy, but this one is lookin sweet!

Edited by wylde1919

• 3 weeks later...

Well I will not be building another figured top neck thru in a while. My firebird is going to have a curly maple matched top, I hope. I got the figured maple let it equilibrate, I live in Arziona were the wood stabilized quickly, and glued the two pieces. Got it sanded to 1/2 inch and by the time I got home it started to curl. Cut the neck pocket out and glued the top and used about 8000 clamps and an old tire. I like working with thick wood as the movement is less in relation to it's size. This piece is requiring more finase. It would have been easier to make the only the wings figured but what the hell. Sorry about the rambling I am tired and need to vent.

Thanks for "listening"

I will post more pictures if the guitar doesn't implode!!!

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

That is looking fantastic, I like the departures from the Firebird design, the cutaway and lower horn looks a bit like an Ibanez Iceman, the neck through wood in the body gives a really striking look, all together it works. What sort of hardware are you planning on?

• 2 weeks later...
I like it, Daniel. It's looking awsome!

BTW i saw that the cutaway it's very "fat", are you going to do something with that?

Frank.

Thats looking really good and I bet it won't be neck heavy like a regular firebird.

No the guitar is very balanced the body was thinned to balance the neck. I am in the completion phase and should have final pics this weekend.

Daniel