Lp 1959/deluxe/studio Start To Finish.. Well Almost (first Build)

JonnyC

I think there's a larger issue here than one guy who wants to build a forgery for personal use.

If PG as a whole allows one imitation to be shown without negative commentary, it is (to me anyway) tacit approval. That says to the entire world that Project Guitar endorses and encourages forgery and fraud. Even though one person doesn't intend to defraud anyone, ever, it might just show the wannabe crook new ways to take other people's money. Not cool. Everyone has to make the decision for himself what is immoral, but what is illegal is on paper and is not too difficult to interpret.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to catch a bunch of crap over using a stolen trademark, just don't show pics of it.

Right okay, after much thinking, i've decided i am going to contact the guy thats finishing the guitar to get the Gibson logo taken out. I will however keep Les Paul model on there unless anyone really see's a problem with that too?

I recognise both sides of the argument but the bottom line for me is, i like it here!, i plan to make more guitars, and i don't want my name tarnished because of my first build.

Also, i'm not desperate to have Gibson on the headstock, as i already own Gibson Les Pauls.

I will be sure to post pic's at the end of Jan, early Feb when i get her back. (Nitro takes some time :D)

I hope you all will no longer have an issue with this..

Edited by JonnyC

JC,

I feel much the same as you and Alex do about the shape and style of the Gibson headstock, including the logo.

What to do? Answer: buy a Gibson LP Studio and modify the hell out of it. I'm not talking pickup swap....I mean re-top, change the fretboard, refin...whatever you have to do to get your dream CS Gibson without paying CS prices. That's the only way you can properly keep the Gibson name on it.

From your photos, looks like you have the skills...it is not so difficult to come up with your own design that pays proper tribute to your Gibson inspiration and still call it your own.

I think there's a larger issue here than one guy who wants to build a forgery for personal use.

If PG as a whole allows one imitation to be shown without negative commentary, it is (to me anyway) tacit approval. That says to the entire world that Project Guitar endorses and encourages forgery and fraud. Even though one person doesn't intend to defraud anyone, ever, it might just show the wannabe crook new ways to take other people's money. Not cool. Everyone has to make the decision for himself what is immoral, but what is illegal is on paper and is not too difficult to interpret.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to catch a bunch of crap over using a stolen trademark, just don't show pics of it.

Valid point and well put.

You don't need to apologize... I bet 99% of the people on this forum have used or are still using illegal downloaded software and music

Also very valid!

Anyway mate good luck with it and hope it turns out well.. Next you'll have to do one completely from scratch to finish... Its not as hard as you might expect as long as your careful and go at a reasonable pace.

Matt

Right okay, after much thinking, i've decided i am going to contact the guy thats finishing the guitar to get the Gibson logo taken out. I will however keep Les Paul model on there unless anyone really see's a problem with that too?

Well, look, I've been thinking about this one too...and the bottom line is, it's your guitar --if you can live with the fake headstock, then so be it. No matter what anyone else here says --even if what we say is indeed valid, you really have to make your own choices.

And no one here is going to hold this against you in the future --I don't believe there's any kind of blacklist here, and no one is going to look at your future work and say, "oh right, that guy"....so on that score, I'm sure I speak for most people here, you can relax and keep coming back. This forum has helped a lot of people grow--if only in their level of build ability.

At least you know now that we're not into faked guitars, so you learned something. And that really is what this forum is about.

Now as for the current situation...why not take a creative approach? For example, I've seen some faked Stratocasters where the builder took the trouble to add "Not a" just above the Fender logo...you could easily do something similar to the Gibson headstock --for example, you could have the finish guy black out the 'G' (or if he's really good, change it to your initials). Something like that--- there's no reason at all why you can't remain in the spirit of the logo.

Now that we're past that....

...I'm intrigued about the "1959" aspect of your build. Did you try to make a true '59 replica? Or just get close? You may or may not know that there is a very long list of tiny but unique details about '50s Les Pauls that distinguish them from every other generation of LP. Stuff that the vintage guys look for to authenticate them.

One of these days I plan to build one with all those little details nailed...but with a bubinga top and sapele back.