Walnut Mocking Bird Build

MCH

This is my first guitar build. Great learning experience. I bought a made neck maple/rosewood in 25 1/2 scale. I don't have enough tools yet to get into the making of a neck.

I'm loving the look of the walnut with the purple heart. I think purple heart would make a great neck. It very hard; probably harder than maple. At one time time purple heart was used for flooring in train boxcars.

here are a couple of pics so far.

mockingbirdwithaccessorja1.jpg

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8379/mo...irdback3pp1.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

You most definately have some very cool design elements going on. That stop-bar is very cool indeed (will walnut hold up though? I guess you'll see).

And that purpleheart/walnut mix is absolutely GORGEOUS. Especially with the figuring in that purpleheart! Nice stuff you got there. As for necks, purpleheart makes great necks. The best way to describe it, as a good friend of mine once laid it out for me, "Think of it like maple on steriods." As in, same characteristics as maple, ie: hard, strong, bright sounding.... just MORE so in each of those categories. However, it might make quite a heavy neck, so you might wanna think about doing like a laminate when you get around to doing a neck. Like purpleheart outsides, with a 1/2" walnut center stripe?

Once again, build looks great, especially the wood choice!

Chris

PS: Boxcars you say!? Why do I all of a sudden have the urge to track some of those down!? They'd be UBER seasoned and probably sound AMAZING!

Edited by verhoevenc

You most definately have some very cool design elements going on. That stop-bar is very cool indeed (will walnut hold up though? I guess you'll see).

As to the walnut tailpiece I think it should be okay. I may use a brass washer in front of the string ring to help premature wear. I also have a purple heart tailpiece finished; which would hold up to pressure wear. Haven't decided which one to use.

how wide is your neck pocket? it looks pretty narrow to me...

The neck pocket fits the neck that I purchased. It's already been dry fitted. I'm using large headed cab bolts that utilize hidden barrel nuts in the base of the neck (I'm using 3 bolts). I think this will give a much tighter fit than the usual threaded screw assembly. Plus I can remove the neck as many times as I want without fear of stripping the screw holes or splitting the maple neck because of too much torque.

The neck pocket at the base is about 2 3/16". I measured my Godin Exit22 that has a bolt on neck, that is very similar, and its neck pocket is also 2 3/16".

So all is good so far.

I'm designing another set of control knobs. I'm not too happy with the current design that is in the photo. That's what I love about making your own guitar. Customization.

off to make some more designer sawdust.

Ive actually made a purple heart neck thru with roughly 1/2" of black walnut in the middle. Its not too bad weight wise because the body is solid purple heart flying v. As far as sound, purple heart is very bright, but it also has a ton of low end.

MzI

Just an update:

I 've got the neck on and stringed (waiting for string trees) to double check the placing of the Schaller TOM bridge. I think I have it well placed now (tunes well in open and 12th fret) and will mark and drill the post holes. My bridge tail piece is working well indeed. May trim it down a bit to get a little more angle to the bridge; but will wait until final setup. The nut definitely needs to be worked on to get the proper height. I don't have nut files so I'll have to improvise or take it in to have it done (may get Tusq, I think it's plastic on there now). Any secrets in filing without proper files? I made up a new set of walnut knobs for volume and tone; I like these much better.

The process continues.

mockingbirdwithneckoz6.jpg

A closer shot shows the control knobs.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8123/mo...rolknobsnt5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got all my parts and was able to finish my build. I have GFS pickups. The Vintage 59 is in the neck and the Fat PAF is in the bridge. I really like the sound of this combo. Now I only have to learn how to play properly. LOL.

I used Tung oil (which has some poly in it) and rubbed on about 4 coats. It gives the guitar a nice lustre without a heavy build up.

I've learnt a lot in this first build. Thankyou for all the help I got on this form.

mockingbirdcompletefronbk7.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2123/mo...letefronyd9.jpg

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/8792/mo...letebackrz1.jpg

Now I'm onto my next build.

I'm not a fan of mockingbirds, but that is one gorgeous instrument you have there! Is the tailpiece made of wood on Stop Tailpiece mounts? Amazing job, can't wait to see what you create next!

Thankyou for the compliment. The tail piece is my own design made of walnut. It's attached with cab bolts and threaded inserts. I suppose similar idea to the standard tailpiece but probably more secure because it is bolted and makes full contact with the body.