Reattaching Acoustic 12 String Bridge

Hi a friend of mine has an oldish 12 string acoustic, not sure of the brand will see it in an hour or so, I remember it as a nice player and sounding pretty good but the bridge has become detached from the soundboard. My mate tried to use araldite to reattach it but it pulled free again so I was going to hit him up to borrow it and to try and fix it up. Any guesses on a good quality glue to use for the bridge and will the previous use of araldite be a big problem? If he agrees I'll post some pics of the problem when I can. Thanks for your help guys,

Nathan

Unless you can get all the glue residue off both surfaces (100% wood to wood joint required), epoxy is still going to be your only bet. Otherwise, titebond original or hot hide glue (not the bottled stuff by franklin).

Thanks for the quick reply. Would scraping off as much as I can and then using sandpaper to clean up the surface be the best bet for this? Is there a chemical that will remove araldite?

I have got to get the bridge free of the soundboard yet, it has lifted quite a bit and is not able to be tuned due to the bridge moving. I was going to try a razor blade to cut the glue so I can get them apart and see whats what.

Edited by natwalk

Mechanical removal (sanding, scraping, rasping) is your best/only bet. Most epoxy will release when heated, though, for getting that bridge off.

Thanks for your help, it had lifte so badly I wa able to use a sharp blade to seperate the bridge from the soundboard, now I guess it's just time for sanding, sanding and more sanding :D

Nathan

:D

If you have an old, beat up chisel, trying heating that up (hot) and using it as a scraper.

Thanks, been scraping and sanding but he used a truckload of araldite so having a few issues with removing it, hopefully heat will do the trick,

One other problem i've encountered is that the soundboard under the bridge looks to have deformed (raised lump under the area that was covered by main body of the bridge), it's only slight and after sanding back it'll probably be basically flat again, does that sound like a major problem or could it just be the dodgy job done by Vester originally and then added to by my mate?

Thanks for all your help,

Nathan

:D

• 2 weeks later...
The raising you're referring too is a very natural occurance...It happens to most accoustic guitars over time....Its from the soundboard being pulled by the string tension..

You should be able to clamp the sides of the bridge flat and that will hold the middle down on its own :D

Thanks was a bit worried about that

Nathan