Pin Router V Table Router

JimmyHetfield

Hello fellow tinkerers and builders

I've been using my trusty home built router table for a year or so now and it's done its job pretty good to say It was my first go at doing one. I've been watching a few guitar building videos around on the net and such and noticed alot of of people using the Pin Routing system for doing bodies, cavities etc, it seems like a really handy fixture to add onto my table.

I was just wondering if anyone here uses them on there's and if they prefer using them to the standard table, basically pro's and con's. I'm looking at the axminster one by the way. :D

Cheers for any info :D

Hello fellow tinkerers and builders

I've been using my trusty home built router table for a year or so now and it's done its job pretty good to say It was my first go at doing one. I've been watching a few guitar building videos around on the net and such and noticed alot of of people using the Pin Routing system for doing bodies, cavities etc, it seems like a really handy fixture to add onto my table.

I was just wondering if anyone here uses them on there's and if they prefer using them to the standard table, basically pro's and con's. I'm looking at the axminster one by the way. :D

Cheers for any info :D

Interesting...me, I'd just go ahead and get it, for that price; there are lots of things you can't do with a table that are possible with a pin router, and it cuts down on the cost of bits (good quality straight bits are cheap, good template and/or flush trim bits less so). Add less wear on your templates (no spinning bearing that can bind and heat up). I don't actually use either yet (have half a router table built now, though). Seems like a worthwhile upgrade. The only issue I have is with centreing the pin on the table so it's dead-on. Unless it's perfectly rigid, I can foresee badness.

some defo good points about the template being safer for sure, I bought a template cutter a while back and when routing my body the bearing on the cutter loosend its self and slid down thus me taking a nice big chunk out of the template and body.... I was not amused :D

I guess centring it and getting it bob on will be the hardest part about it.... and making sure you've remebered to get the right size Pin to the cutter :D

Sounds like you may have been checking out Wayne Charvel's vids. If you haven't you really should. Some REALLY cool stuff to watch. Made me wish I had a pin router.

Guilty as charged :D Yeah I downloaded the Wayne Charvel ones a while back and found them the other day on a disc, there are some really nice video tours aswell on YouTube and Google video from Gibson, Fender Hamer etc. And there essentially hand made guitars.....by Robbie the robot who happens to look like a CNC machine :D

I think I'm goona take the plunge and go for it, looked more into it last night and it just seems a way better and safer way to rout certain things. So as long as I can get it spot on centered then it should work a treat.

theres also a brilliant video of Gibson making the Eric Clapton 335 replica, on Google video which is 55mins long. Which was excellent I'd recommend watching it. stick it in the search and I'm sure it will come up.

I'l stick a few pix up when I get my Pin system up and running and let you know the results.

Thanks the reply's guys B)

Yeah, really. Please post pics when you get it fired up. I love that kinda stuff. I gotta check out the other vid you mentioned, too. Thanks for telling us about them. I agree when you say it looks like a safer way. It really does. I'd love to make custom-made guitars on the side. The problem is the overhead costs, in tools, just to get started. Maybe, someday.

well I'll hopefully make the order this coming week, and Axminster are usually pretty speedy with there delivery, and I should also be going to Craft Supplies in Buxton aswell, to get some wood for 2 new projects. so will endeaver try to make up a photo review and such.

Hey racer have you checked out any night schools or colleges that run guitar building courses in your area? thats how I got into it, it's only my hobby but it's a damn fun one. It is pretty exspensive at times, I just try and put a bit asside each week or month and save up for the main tools such as router and piller drill, the other stuff like router tables, work bench etc I made from bit's of wood I found and scrounged off friends. The main problem for me is getting them sprayed at the moment as I have 1 waiting and another well on it's way but am gonna contact the local college and see if they can help me out at all.

no problem about the vids by the way, if i find anymore I'll put up a post about them :D

you know, Jimmy, to be honest, I had never even thought of THAT, so thanks. I MAY have to look into that. Thanks.

Yeah, it Is quite expensive, especially with 3 rugrats, slowly eating you out of house and home. I really try to do ALL my musical ventures on a shoestring budget, anymore, because of the family obligations. Bread on the table, first, ya know? Still, on such a tight budget and all, my last project came out quite nicely, and am very proud of it. Alreayd working on the next, when time and money allows. This freezing weather has really put a hold on any painting I had planned. Now, I sit, wait, and salivate over the great things YOU guys are doing.

Looking forward to the pics, cause you KNOW I'm living, vicariously through ya! hehe.