Newbie Guitar Finish Help

DarkAvenger

Hi everyone! I'm new to guitar refinishing and have some questions. I got a kit from grizzly.com that looks like a strat. It isnt the expensive version but it seems like a nice guitar. I have it finely sanded and it was already filled with grain filler at the factory. My first question is about paint. I want to use lacquer. Would it be a good idea to dye the amber then paint the black and then finish with red dye mixed into the lacquer for the burst? Second, what should I use for the black/red/amber? What type of paint/dye? Im going to be getting a spray gun and all that jazz. Also, Ive read that a 1.3 mm gravity fed gun is good. Do you have any suggestions as to the type of gun and tip is good to get? Whats the most bang for the buck? Thanks everyone!

Edit: I keep reading about auto paints and rattle cans, but how do I know if its compatible? Is there any special automotive paints to use? So far my plan is to order some amber and red lacquer/alcohol-based dye, vinyl sealer, and clear lacquer from an online store, Grizzley or Stewart-MacDonald or ReRachers. Then I should get black auto paint from somewhere around here?

Edited by DarkAvenger