Truss Rod Problem

The other day, as I was doing some routine truss adjustments on my Fender American Deluxe Strat, I somehow or another stripped the allen nut at the end of the truss rod. This event is odd, because I always take care when adjusting with truss rods. I barely turned the wrench, and bam, it suddenly lost grip as if it were stripped (VERY odd )... The truss rod itself is a Fender Bi-Flex rod (similar to the StewMac Hot Rod), so replacing the nut is not an option, since it welded to the rod itself. I've literally tried everything...WD40 (to see if it's a lubrication problem between the threads), all sorts of allen wrenches, etc

1) Is there anything I can do to potentially remedy this? I've tried using a 9/64 allen instead of the 1/8 to see if that would work, but it didn't.

2) This neck is dear to me, so replacing it is really out of the option. Yes, I know buying a replacement neck would be cheaper, but this was my first neck...I REALLY wish to keep using it. It means something to me...For replacing truss rods, who are some respectable luthiers whom you would recommend for this type of work?

3) How much would this normally cost to have someone replace the rod?

Thanks,

Wade

Is the hole still sorta hexagonal or round now? Maybe a try a metric allen key and see if you can fit it in. OR, not the best remedy, but try lightly tapping in the 9/64, ie. forcing it into the hole. Hex holes just don't strip unless the key being used is not a perfect fit. If the key has even a little wobble I will find one that fits better. I have stripped them before and resorted to tightening the truss rod with a large wood screw and relaxing with a reversed thread "easy-out". Not the perfect scenario but it still gets the job done. :D Just to add, strings should be loosened when tightening. You are already working against the neck wood, no need to add more resistance.

Edited by Southpa

Is the hole still sorta hexagonal or round now? Maybe a try a metric allen key and see if you can fit it in. OR, not the best remedy, but try lightly tapping in the 9/64, ie. forcing it into the hole. Hex holes just don't strip unless the key being used is not a perfect fit. If the key has even a little wobble I will find one that fits better. I have stripped them before and resorted to tightening the truss rod with a large wood screw and relaxing with a reversed thread "easy-out". Not the perfect scenario but it still gets the job done. :D Just to add, strings should be loosened when tightening. You are already working against the neck wood, no need to add more resistance.

Already tried sticking a 9/64, to no avail. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking about putting a release agent on the allen key, then putting a dab of some epoxy on it, and then letting it rest in the allen hole. Hopefully, the epoxy will fill the stripped area, and the release agent will allow me to remove the wrench...Worth a try...

Thanks

Hex holes just don't strip unless the key being used is not a perfect fit.

I had a similar problem with the nut on my MIM tele neck. I was convinced it was stripped. But then I found a different key, and maybe it was slightly larger, or I was able to push it in a little deeper, but I'm able to adjust the truss rod again.

Instead of using the angled end of the key as I usually do, I have to use the long end. It's more difficult to manipulate that way, but it works. Also, I used pump-type clamps to add gentle force to get the neck into the position I wanted (taking SwedishLuthier's advice), which allows the truss rod to turn more easily.