Floyd Rose String Slippingness

hi i was hoping some one could help me out this may seem totally dumb but i just recently bought a guitar with floyd rose and there seems to be a problem. everytime i tune the strings to the pitch i want they cant seem to hold the tension or something???? :D and they slip out of the string clamp at the bridge its highly annoying please help???????????!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm....a few things could be going on here. Firstly, if you've just re-strung it you must stretch the strings to take out any slack otherwise it'll never hold pitch. Tune 'em up and stretch, tune 'em up and stretch, tune 'em up and stretch....i think you get the idea - in my experience (nothing but floyd guitars for over 20 years) it'll take three or four stretch's to get them bedded in. Now on to the strings pulling out of the block(s). It could be that you're not doing the retainer blocks up tight enough or it may be that the previous owner has done them too tight and cracked them which is fairly common. It's a bit of a balancing act between getting them tight enough without going over the top (they need to be tight but not F.T !) so i'd check out if they're moving ok within their slots and they're not cracked - if they look ok then you probably just need to do them up a bit tighter but i re-iterate that they shouldn't be done up F...... Tight otherwise you'll crack the blocks or strip the threads.

Hope this helps - floyd's can be slightly un-amusing if you're not used to them but they're not rocket science either.

Jem

As previously stated someone might have over-tightened and cracked the the anvil block that pinches the string...OR someone left broken string bits in the pinch area. Next time you change strings loosen up the the pinch bolts and look down in the slot and there might be remnants of prior broken strings. Over the years I've seen that many times.