Another Question On Spaltewd Maple

Don't kill me if this has been covered, I've tried to search for an answer in the archives and came up empty so now I need to ask.

I have stabilized my bookmatched pieces and have sanded them back and they feel nice and smooth but..... there are still some shiny spots from the CA that I guess I can sand further down to get and worse yet there are some deep voids or holes, for lack of a better term to describe it, in the board itself. I guess they are really just spots where there was rot and the wood was just not there to begin with. My pieces are roughly 3/4" thick and I plan to resaw them to get a 1/4" or 1/8" finished top out of them. The "voids" do not go al the way through to the other side so I am thinking I should be okay but since this is my first time using this wood I thouyght I would ask the experts before proceding.

I just want to say that I really appreciate the help and I see that there are many talented people here so I apologize if this sems mundane or repetitive to some of you.

Thanks.

Edited by Joeglow

in no way a spalt expert; but the only time i epoxy or super glue before the final cut is to stop checking;

after you resaw them and attach them to your body , then stabilize any real bad areas; then before finishing, glaze it with epoxy and sand flat; it wont matter if some wood is exposed as long as its flat, the spongy dead wood will absorb it;

give a washcoat of dewax shellac or thinned (whatever your finish is) and after it dries fill in the pitting with more epoxy;

flatten again wwith 320 and then finish it like any thing else;

some pics would be good