Crackle Spray

Petrol

Preparing my first build and I was wondering if it would be possible to use crackle spray to achieve a two layered effect? Was thinking of doing the following:

1.Prepare guitar body for spraying as usual

2.Spray layer of silver

3.Spray red

4.Spray with crackle finish, exposing silver underneath the crackled red, creating call effect.

5.Laquer guitar thouroughly

Crackle link!

Has anyone tried crackle sprays before, are they durable and fully compatible with laquers etc? Also, anyone any experience on what paints they will and won't work with? I was thinking of also trying this with black on gold, could get some amazing cracked all over effects, and the light catching the cracks in both of these would hopefully look cool and different. Thanks in advance,

Pete.

I did a few refins back in the late 80's when the crackle look was popular with a product called "Vreeble". It was available in black only at that time. The process was: spray your base color, then lay a coat of vreeble, then clearcoat. The thicker you lay the vreeble coat on, the larger the cracks are. It was cool to watch the cracks open up as it dried. The bad part was it took a LOT of clear to make the finish smooth. I'm not sure if it's still available. I used to buy it from a CarPaint store.

Thanks for the advice!

I did a load of searching on my own, but a lot of the info is pretty inconsistent. Seems like I have 3 or 4 ways to go:

1.) Vreeble (If it exsists) or another crackle spray, which their seem to be tons of.

2.) Plastikote's offering: A 2 spray solution, a range of base sprays and top sprays, so you spray your base, let it "tack up" then spray your top colour and it will crack itself. Nice idea, but range of colours id very limited.

3.) It seems that if using an antique milk paint, it's possible to use some kind of white glues (presumably PVA from what I've read, again quite unclear to me) over a base colour of an antique milk paint. Once glue over the top is dry, paint on second paint colour, which will crack. Then seal, seal, seal.

The general message I've taken from this is to seal the living <insert expletive of choice here> out of whatever I crack. I want to go ahead and get some crackle stuff and have a play on some scrap wood in a few days, and I'll try sealing it too, see if it's possible for me to achieve a reasonable finish.