Pre-cutting The Neck Block?

I am assuming you are talking about an acoustic. I like to pre-route and fit the neck block and neck(no box). After you have the box built you still have to route the sides to expose your block, and you still need to check your angle and alignment(which will most likely require fine tuning). If you are dilligent and really pay close attension you can really save yourself a lot of fitting work. It can be done either way, but you really want to plan and make these fits with good jigs and accuracy. Neck angle and how the neck will perform is hugely important.

Peace,Rich

Well, the one acoustic I've (nearly...) completed thus far had a 3/4" mortise pre-cut, and I did all my tweeking on the neck tenon to get the neck angle right. I used two bolts and metal cross-dowels in the tenon, and it worked out fine.

However, I think on my next one I will go with a more simple Taylor-style butt joint with threaded inserts instead of cross dowels...this does not require any mortise in the neck block, and the heel is easier to tweek to adjust the neck angle.

Well, the one acoustic I've (nearly...) completed thus far had a 3/4" mortise pre-cut, and I did all my tweeking on the neck tenon to get the neck angle right. I used two bolts and metal cross-dowels in the tenon, and it worked out fine.

However, I think on my next one I will go with a more simple Taylor-style butt joint with threaded inserts instead of cross dowels...this does not require any mortise in the neck block, and the heel is easier to tweek to adjust the neck angle.

Cumpliano just added the standard bolt-on joint to his website, like a book addition add on.