Side Bender

I searched the board and came up with some designs for Side Benders. This is my unit that took about two days to build. It is temperature controlled. I used the hardware from an old cloths dryer. The element and ceramic insulators are well suited for the job.

sidebender.jpg

I used a heater control from an old electric radiant heater. The unit heats up very quickly and makes excellent side bends. The top is 1/16" aluminum and there are also two thin stainless steel sheets to squeeze the wood blank. The waist tightener is raised and then moved out of the way. The top stainless sheet can be then lifted and the blank added. The second arm is put in a vertical position and the pin is installed. The arm has a roller that follows the contour of the body. I slowly roll the side down and clip the bungy cord on to the handle. This supplies the spring force to the top sheet. Last I slowly tighten the waist clamp. Half an hour to cool and one side.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/jo...hotos/sides.jpg

Here are some Mahogany and Spruce test bends. Thanks too all who helped, could not have done it without this web site. Oh yea it is very hot!!! I have to wear gloves. Having fun Jofes.

Edited by jofes

Thats very cool. What exactly is the blanket part? I dont get how this went together...???? Dont burn the house down!! :D

GoodWood, the inside of the bender is all metal and it has a overheat switch. The blanket traditional hand made quilt. A gift from my sister. Thanks for the interest. Jofes.

Thats very cool. What exactly is the blanket part? I dont get how this went together...???? Dont burn the house down!! :D

GoodWood, the inside of the bender is all metal and it has a overheat switch. The blanket traditional hand made quilt. A gift from my sister. Thanks for the interest. Jofes.

No I meant the heating blanket. Is this set up like a light bulb box?

No I meant the heating blanket. Is this set up like a light bulb box?

GoodWood, yes similar to the lightbulb setup except I used an old dryer element. Jofes.