Testing Electronics

turbo411

I have a strat style pickguard with two humbuckers, 2 tone pots and a volume pot. Sometimes I have to jiggle the volume pot otherwise it cuts in an out.

1.) Can I test the pot with a multi meter to see if its the pot or the wiring?

2.) Generally speaking, after you install and wire the pickups on a pickguard, is there a way to test it (either to plug it into the amp or otherwise) without having to string up the guitar?

3.) When you remove a pickguard do you remove the strings entirely or completelt loosen them and slide it out?

Thank you!

I have a strat style pickguard with two humbuckers, 2 tone pots and a volume pot. Sometimes I have to jiggle the volume pot otherwise it cuts in an out.

1.) Can I test the pot with a multi meter to see if its the pot or the wiring?

-the resistant carbon material that determines the resistance on the vol pot, has worn off and there is no contact towards the guitar jack.

-the postive lead is touching the ground lead and thus it's shorting out

2.) Generally speaking, after you install and wire the pickups on a pickguard, is there a way to test it (either to plug it into the amp or otherwise) without having to string up the guitar?

like this: take a spare input jack, wire the positive side of the pu to the tip of the jack, the ground to the sleeve of the jack. You could use alligator clips for this. Then a cable to the amp, turn it on. Then tap the pickup with a screwdriver.

3.) When you remove a pickguard do you remove the strings entirely or completelt loosen them and slide it out?

Thank you!

both can do, all depends on the number of turns on your tuning machines. if too few, you will not be able to lift it high enough.

hope this helps

Try cleaning the pot with switch contact cleaner first up. Lay some cloth around where your going to spray, remove the knob and spray down the shaft and work it back and forth.

This is what you should do for scratchy pots as well. If after cleaning the problem still persists you may have a bad pot or a bad solder joint. Check with a ohm meter while turning the shaft and it should rise and fall smoothly on the meter.