Finger Board Slotted

• 3 weeks later...
whats that cutter that you have on your CNC ?

Jaden, I don't know what his set up is, but there is a company that sells endmills specifically for CNC fretboard slots. Check out precisebits.com.

Now if only I had the space to build my CNC router!!!

If you've got the space for a myka-style neck jig, you've got the space for a CNC. I have a tiny shop, and I'd make the space for one, were it not for the fact that a) it's expensive :D I don't know how to program CAD and c) it would probably make my build speed even lower than it is now. More accurate, perhaps, but it's not the road to swift production if you're essentially building one-off designs....

whats that cutter that you have on your CNC ?

Jaden, I don't know what his set up is, but there is a company that sells endmills specifically for CNC fretboard slots. Check out precisebits.com.

Now if only I had the space to build my CNC router!!!

Ive been looking around for a supplier of small router bits - thanks very much for the site rirhett !

BTW guys - I can contain myself no longer :D - my CNC arrives tomorrow B):D

• 3 weeks later...
Turned on the cnc machine and cut the fret slots into the rosewood fingerboard. Setup always takes a long time. fretboard.jpg

The cut worked out very well so it is on to the next step. Jofes

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, I use a CNC for metal work so I am familiar with the whole setup thing, Someday I will get that CNC router but for now its just a small mill.

I just wonder why you cut the frets after you glued on the neck, (I see a headstock attached) would seem simpler if you just made up a jig for cutting a blank board long before its been shaped and glued. If the machine screws up then you only mess up the board not the whole neck. If I am wrong about your setup never mind ignore me.

Woodenspoke

• 2 weeks later...
Turned on the cnc machine and cut the fret slots into the rosewood fingerboard. Setup always takes a long time. fretboard.jpg

The cut worked out very well so it is on to the next step. Jofes

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, I use a CNC for metal work so I am familiar with the whole setup thing, Someday I will get that CNC router but for now its just a small mill.

I just wonder why you cut the frets after you glued on the neck, (I see a headstock attached) would seem simpler if you just made up a jig for cutting a blank board long before its been shaped and glued. If the machine screws up then you only mess up the board not the whole neck. If I am wrong about your setup never mind ignore me.

Woodenspoke

Woodenspoke, Sorry I took so long to reply. I took over a month off to build the guitar, stopped everything else in my life, now I am paying for it.

I did lots of test fingerboards on plywood and a lot of measuring. The cnc cut the nut position and all of the fret points were from that cut. The notation is wonderful. The next guitar that I am going to build will have the entire neck cut on the cnc. Thanks for the input. Jofes.

• 2 weeks later...