Humming Sounds From An Accoustic Guitar

please help me. d 5th and the 1 st strings are making humming sounds when strummed open. i presume the problem is because ithe strings are touching.

i have tried changing the strings and hav also tried increasing the height of the bridge but in vain.

thnx

i just read something like that in "build your own acoustic guitar

If it's only buzzing in the open position it's probably the nut height not the bridge.

the slots in the nut may be too deep or are wearing through the nut and that would make the string height at the nut lower than the hight of the frets making it buzz when strum openly.

I had this problem before, i just took the nut off and added a little little veneer to elevate to nut just a little more. Or i guess you could fill in the nut slots with something but i don't know what.

I'm not an expert that that's just what i did.

Edited by Mr. Preston Swift

Fret the strings at the 3rd fret and make sure they just clear the first fret. If they don't, they are too low and you will have to raise the slot. The proper way is to shim the nut or replace it.

As a quick fix for the treble strings too deep I have super glued a piece of the matching gauge guitar string into the slot and filed it to suit.

Edited by Acousticraft

Seriously, get yourself a good book on guitar setup. I reccomend one of Dan Erlewine's tomes, the Guitar Player Repair Guide is a great overall overview on common (and less common) repairs, setups, techniques, etc.

Read it, and read it well.

The MIMF.com also has a Buzz FAQ that might be helpful, but if you have trouble telling a nut from a tuning machine, or call a tuning machine a 'bolt', you're going to need to give yourself a bit of a basic education to lay the foundations for understanding what's written...