Rich's 1st 6-string, Doublecut Cherry Wood Electric

Hey all,

Finally got this done. Sorry, didn't take any progress pics. It's taken almost two years since I started it, what with having no experience w/ woodworking, no equipment of my own at first, etc. I actually finished a bass that I started last summer before this one, but hey. It got there eventually.

The specs:

Cherry body

Ebay neck, 25& 1/2" scale. Had a blank headstock when I got it. Also refretted it with the pyramid wire that Stew-Mac sells , and drilled out the plastic dots, replaced w/ abalone.

GFS Fat PAF bridge, Dimarzio HS-3 neck, both splittable w/ push-pull pots.

Kluson tuners.

Bookmatched zebrawood pickguard, to cover up the abomination of me trying to route the pickup cavities w/out templates. Yeesh.

The back cover is a dyed crudwood cover, which miraculously sorta fits, since I didn't template either the cavity or the plate recess. Ahhh, nothing like the lessons you learn doing something for the first time!

revelatorsmall.jpg

Closeups:

The front

The back...

The headstock

Thanks for looking...I'd love to hear what y'all think...good, bad, ugly, etc. All comments welcome!

Edited by guitar4Hisglory

Congrats for crossing the finish line, how's it play?

It has a definite Brian May vibe goin' on.

Be gentle with it, looks to me like there's not a ton of structural support in the neck pocket (minimal sides, and maybe thin in the bottom?) so don't go swinging it by the neck or anything!

Thanks, guys.

Xanthus, I'll agree...the neck joint's a bit strange. I designed it that way so it had 5 bolts, but the little "groove" there to fit your thumb in whilst up on the higher frets.

The cut on the back was designed for playability too, although I did like it's looks, also. Double duty, baby! If you play sitting down, the cut rests on your leg, putting it in classical position.

Erik, it plays really nice. I like the pyramid frets, kind of a "jumbo meets skinny" feel to it. The oil and wax does good for the "fastness" of the neck, and it sounds really good...kinda midrangey, but good midrangey. Doesn't fade into the mix so much . Not terribly skinny on the joint...a little over 3/4". Of course, I don't know that much about it...maybe that is too little.

Brian May vibe, huh? Didn't pick that out right away. What about it makes you think along those lines?

Edited by guitar4Hisglory