Vintage Correct Trisonic Pickups...

AXofBSR

the kent armstrong ones are supposed to be the same as the originals

wdmusic sells them.

Nope... They're close but not the same... I know that somebody gave ma link to some that were trisonic clones (vintage correct) and were much cheaper than the Kent Armstrong....

Also, if I were to put these in a guitar but wanted a HSS config, anybody know of any humbucker that would be a decent match for these?

Maybe contact Andy at Guyton guitars, he made the anniversary Red Special guitar & a few other customs for Brian May so I guess they'll be as close as you'll get. I know that almost everything on the Red Special was made from scratch so it's possible that the pickups were too but he might have bought them in.

wdmusic sells them.

Nope... They're close but not the same... I know that somebody gave ma link to some that were trisonic clones (vintage correct) and were much cheaper than the Kent Armstrong....

Also, if I were to put these in a guitar but wanted a HSS config, anybody know of any humbucker that would be a decent match for these?

have you compared the kent armstrong ones to the originals ?

wdmusic sells them.

have you compared the kent armstrong ones to the originals ?

Saw a thing on the The Red Special website that said they were close but not exact.

on wdmusic they have 2 different types, original trisonic clones and V wound ones (they are meant to be a bit weaker) supposedly the red special pickups were just standard burns pickups that had a few windings removed.

http://wdmusic.com/burns_trisonic_v_pickup_29703_prd1.htm

i think burns use the kent armstrong pickups in their guitars as well.

Close is normally good enough especially if you don't actually have anything to compare it too. The most important thing is surely whether it sounds any good? You could take the pickups from the original Red Special & put them in a strat & they'll sound different, you could even put them in one of the replicas & they'll sound different...they are just a single component that is subject to many manufacturing defects & quirks. How do you know that the person/people that said they weren't exact aren't comparing them to a poor batch of original pickups or to a set that were slightly overwound?

If you're looking for perfection you'll forever be disappointed

Close is normally good enough especially if you don't actually have anything to compare it too. The most important thing is surely whether it sounds any good? You could take the pickups from the original Red Special & put them in a strat & they'll sound different, you could even put them in one of the replicas & they'll sound different...they are just a single component that is subject to many manufacturing defects & quirks. How do you know that the person/people that said they weren't exact aren't comparing them to a poor batch of original pickups or to a set that were slightly overwound?

thats absolutely right, theres no point bothering if they dont sound good, thats why i would rather have the kent armstrong pickups, at least they have experience in making high quality products.

the only 2 places ive seen that make them to any sortof standard are ;

http://www.adeson.co.uk/

and

http://www.kentarmstrong.com

trying them side by side with real vintage tri sonics and they probably all sound different, ive got a set of kent ones (6.4k) they are decent for the price i paid (£70 on ebay for 3)

thats absolutely right, theres no point bothering if they dont sound good, thats why i would rather have the kent armstrong pickups, at least they have experience in making high quality products.

the only 2 places ive seen that make them to any sortof standard are ;

http://www.adeson.co.uk/

and

http://www.kentarmstrong.com

trying them side by side with real vintage tri sonics and they probably all sound different, ive got a set of kent ones (6.4k) they are decent for the price i paid (£70 on ebay for 3)

I like the Adesons... I can't find trisonics on ebay or I'd just buy those... I wanna wind my own but I don't think I have the resources...