Wood Selections

Hello there. I'm new to this forum, and to guitar building, and I have some questions regarding wood choice on a solid body guitar. I want to make a Les Paul Junior sized guitar, with a mahogany body and a 24 fret zebrawood neck. What I was wondering is this: Will this guitar be balanced well enough, or will it be too heavy in the neck? A friend of mine told me that neck would be too heavy, and that I should change my neck to mahogany. Any feedback would be much appreciated, especially becuase I plan to start as soon as possible. Thank you!

Thank you very much all of you. I'll post pictures of my progress once I start.

Its harder to work zebra than mahogany. My personal experiences with zebra has been let say less than stellar. Make sure you have a good stable piece of zebra to start with.

With 24 frets your guitar weight will be moving toward the headstock if you plan on playing all 24 frets. I would increase the body thickness to add bulk if you are basing your design on a LP JR and need to play all 24 frets.

Woodenspoke

Thank you very much all of you. I'll post pictures of my progress once I start.

Its harder to work zebra than mahogany. My personal experiences with zebra has been let say less than stellar. Make sure you have a good stable piece of zebra to start with.

With 24 frets your guitar weight will be moving toward the headstock if you plan on playing all 24 frets. I would increase the body thickness to add bulk if you are basing your design on a LP JR and need to play all 24 frets.

Woodenspoke

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you very much. How much width do you recommend I add?