Session Musicians

gibsonsg26

I live in a different country and the music business here is smaller, but I think the main things a session musician needs wouldn't change much. When people call a session musician to play they expect three main things: To be able to sight-read sheet music, to be able to provide different gear for different styles and to be able to record the takes in the least possible amount of time. Studio time doesn't come cheap. If the producer needs a session musician, his/her total fee must be lower than or equal to the studio time needed for a lesser one and the end result must be superior. I play in recordings and have partnership in a recording studio so I come to know the business from both point of views. If you feel ready to play anything producers throw at you, then make a go for it.

Cheers.

ya the one thing thats good is that even though in most of the bands ive played in we were 80's metal ive still got my sg's for when i need to do something else. I got to learn some stuff from a session/solo musician named terry syrek last year and again next week and he said he ended up having to buy a strat because people wouldnt hire him if he walked in with his rhoads. I would realy like to do some small session work right now but theres no serious studios around me. How would you go about getting a session gig? Im not sure who to contact.

An axe which covers a lot of ground is a must. My main guitars for session and live work are a pu and wiring modded Custom Telecaster and a Cort KX-Custom. And I use mainly three amps; Carvin Legacy stack, a Vox Venue 100 from 80's and a 10W Class A head that I've built myself. As for getting the gigs, I think it's all about the people you know, and the way you play. You don't have to shred like hell, nobody would want that. I know many players which can play way faster than I do but cannot play a straight swing with exact metronome timing. The main thing is, a session musician cannot afford to be narrow minded when it comes to playing style. Right now I am playing with a well-known pop-rock singer in Turkey which provides me with a lot of connections. Maybe it's harder to get session work over there, because there are many good musicians around. I hope this helps a bit.

Take care.

thanks for the help im a shredder but not that great at it because i hate solos without feeling so im always trying for melodic solos ive been practicing with a metronome and i record with a studio program at my hoise at least 12 songs a day. Hopefully i will meet the right people. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

you should record alot of different type of music for a "portfolio" type thing

if u just focus on shredding i dont thinkn theres a heaps of room for those session guitarist

like a band that want a mad solo will generally already have a guitarist

i could be wrong though