Wood Question

I'm trying to decide on wood for a hollow or semi-hollow guitar that will be routed out (myka style http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/049/process.htm )

I know that maple is the traditional semi-hollow wood, but I'm worried that in this guitar it will be a bit too bright, since I'm using a padouk/rosewood neck, and at least one single coil pickup. Mahogany is the opposite end of the spectrum... if it tends to sound dark in solid guitars, wouldn't it be extremely dark in a guitar with large tone chambers? I'm looking for balance and clarity.

I know some of you on here have built or played semi-hollow or hollow instruments from non-traditional woods, so I'm looking for some opinions.

I'm trying to decide on wood for a hollow or semi-hollow guitar that will be routed out (myka style http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/049/process.htm )

I know that maple is the traditional semi-hollow wood, but I'm worried that in this guitar it will be a bit too bright, since I'm using a padouk/rosewood neck, and at least one single coil pickup. Mahogany is the opposite end of the spectrum... if it tends to sound dark in solid guitars, wouldn't it be extremely dark in a guitar with large tone chambers? I'm looking for balance and clarity.

I know some of you on here have built or played semi-hollow or hollow instruments from non-traditional woods, so I'm looking for some opinions.

Why not get in touch with David, and ask him what his thoughts are. It is his design, and he would know it better than anyone else. Maybe he will see your post, but I am sure a quick PM or Email would be more direct. He is an extreamly nice guy :D .

Peace,Rich

I mostly build chambered mahogany guitars, and I've done a few with full-size chambers, and 'dark' isn't a word I'd use to describe any of them. 'Warm' and 'resonant', certainly. Semis seem to have a more emphatic acoustic response, often with a fair amount of sparkle to the sound. Not 'dark', although a lot of it is down to pickup selection.

That is a sweet guitar. I didn't think I'd like the blue burst on it, but the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me.

If you use a maple cap over the mahogany body and back, I think it will be fine. Should be warm with a high end sparkle to add clarity. To blend the colors of the wood together, maybe put a maple binding on the mahogany. It would stand out and the color difference/contrast would look nice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll definitely try to pick David's brain too.

I shouldn't be surprised that mahogany could have some sparkle. I put together a mahogany/maple thinline guitar that turned out brighter than I'd expected.

Hollowstrat5.jpg

I guess I was assuming that full sized tone chambers would really mellow it out, because a maple solidbody should have a VERY bright tone, and all of the large maple semi-hollows I've heard or played have had pleanty of warmth.

I'm really curious about other wood combinations too! Has anyone here built a walnut semi? Or how about swamp ash? Swamp ash is supposed to be very resonant already... I don't know enough to guess how it would sound in a semi-hollow. Could be perfect, or could be spoiled by "too much of a good thing".