Taking Paint Off Of A Fretboard

farlee

Awhile back I bought a real old silvertone archtop at a garage sale for $1, but it was "restored" by the previous owner very poorly. He had painted the entire guitar, aswell as the fretboard and neck with blue and green paint. I stripped the paint off the body, and sanded it to get the paint that seeped into the wood out, and that turned out fine. I stripped and sanded the back of the neck and headstock, and that worked fine. The thing that is stumping me is the fretboard. I put some stripper on there(its a natural stripper called circa 1850, seemed to work well)and managed to get off most of the paint, but clearly it needs to be sanded to get the rest off. Preblem is, Im not sure how to go about sanding it because the wood I want to sand is between the frets. Any ideas? Im having trouble with this. Should I make it into a fretless? Thansk a lot.

thats a good suggestion, and Id definitaly do it myself, this is a learning project. You think Id have to cut new fret slots once i sanded it down? Or just clean out the existing ones? Also if I for some reason cant get them back in, I could always make it a fretless

If you dont want to bother taking the frets out i suggest #0000 steel wool with the stripper i think you should be able to get the paint off. It would help if you knew what kind of paint is on it. Heres a list of strippers for different paint & finishes. http://www.generalchem.com/paint_strippers...WID=23840821022

I've been thru that before & i used tiny pieces of sand paper, scribes, pins, nitro lacquer thinner, & lets see what else?... :D