Recommend Some Machine Tools

thestumble

Hi Guys

I am new here so please go easy on me

Could you please recommend any make and models for the follwoing equipment

Bandsaw - worktop mounted or floor mounted

Thickness Planer - i am looking at les paul 'style' guitars so presumably i will need something bigger than a 13" planer

thanks in advance

Dan

Hi Guys

I am new here so please go easy on me

Could you please recommend any make and models for the follwoing equipment

Bandsaw - worktop mounted or floor mounted

Thickness Planer - i am looking at les paul 'style' guitars so presumably i will need something bigger than a 13" planer

thanks in advance

Dan

You're not gonna find anything bigger than a 13" planer unless it's a really expensive industrial model, your best bet is probably to get a 10" combined planer/thicknesser, and then join up two surfaced and thickness pieces of wood for the body.

If you must use 1 piece body blanks that are around 13" wide, while a 13" planer may just squeeze them in, you still need some way of preparing one face as a thicknesser isn't designed to remove warps or cups in a board. Your best bet for wide bodies is probably just to plane one face flat with a hand plane, then either run it through a 13" thicknesser or get out a marking gauge, run it around the body edges at the desired thickness and then use the hand plane to thickness it down to size.

Hi Bainzy

Thanks for the advice

I have been watching your thread on the LPF with anticipation of an update hows it going

By the way where did your thread go for the overly tight truss rod after gluing the fillet? did you ever get it corrected

Thanks

Dan

I haven't got it corrected in that particular neck, while removing the fillet I ended up in A&E after the hot knife I was using slipped and punctured my hand. After that healed I put the neck aside for a while, changed the truss rod channel width I was using and routed out the second one (this time making sure I didn't press too hard when gluing in the fillet). I managed to check it wasn't too tight this time by banging the rectangular anchor a little to the left and right after the fillet was installed, this showed me the rod could move in the channel. I've still got to re-do the original truss rod installation in the first neck, but I'm progressing well with the second - I've finished making the fretboard and headstock, and I'm about to cut out the tenon. I'd have put the progress pics up already but I've had a bit of trouble getting my photobucket account to work lately.