Refinishing An Acoustic

I have a couple of questions about refinishing an acoustic guitar:

1. Is the stripping process the same as that of an electric guitar? (sand off all the paint, fill the grain then seal it)

2. How can I safely remove the binding and the bridge so that it can be reused after I'm through refinishing the guitar?

I have a couple of questions about refinishing an acoustic guitar:

1. Is the stripping process the same as that of an electric guitar? (sand off all the paint, fill the grain then seal it)

2. How can I safely remove the binding and the bridge so that it can be reused after I'm through refinishing the guitar?

Refinishing an acoustic is made a bit tricky because the wood is not thick to begin with. The acoustics wood is both structural(which is closer to failure than an electric, and the thickness is a good part of what makes it sound the way it does). Use caution when sanding, and if possible repair the finish instead of doing a full re-finish. As far as removing the bridge. Again only remove it if it is required. Use heat,as the glue softens you can slowely work a blade under the bridge to seperate it from the top, but use caution to not damage the top either with the blade or by prying before the glue has softened(as this can rip the thin soundboard wood up with the bridge). Removing the binding is a whole can of worms you are opening. If the binding is damaged and you feel it is absolutely needed you can do it, but you can certainly refinish without removing it(actually you will have to put new binding right back on before you can refinish). Heat can be used, but there is risk of damage. If you make a binding jig you can route away the binding(be sure you make your jig well, and study the method before attempting this). After the binding is removed and you have a clean binding channel(if you used heat, you will need to carefully clean the existing channel. if you routed properly you are ready to proceed). If you choose wood binding, you will need to bend them with heat to the correct shape before trying to install(another subject to study, and bending equipment to build or purchase). If you choose plastic binding, you should be able to pre-bend with relative ease. After the binding has been cleanly installed(again there is another subject to read up on). you will need to scrape the binding flush with the surrounding surfaces. Then you will be back on track to start the refinishing.

Finishing an acoustic is not extreamly different than an electric, actually the process is pretty much the same. That said there are several options for finishes. As with any guitar you want to use only as thick of a finish as is required to protect the wood(thin is good, thick and heavy is bad).

Good luck,

Rich

Edited by fryovanni