From Yamaha To Ibanez?

my friends moving and he dug out this Yamaha Eg112 electric that he'd painted all over and just generally destroyed...not to mention he removed the frets and attempted the infamous fret-less guitar but was unsucessful and returned the fret bars. ANYWAY! i recently bought a 20 year old ibanez and its a godess if anything and i want to restore this yamaha and modify it to be more like an ibanez. so first im stripping the body (in progess) and i want to experiment with a nice siwrl finish on it. i need to reshape the body and was curious if there are any ibanez body plans out there i can print off and trace onto the yamaha body. im also going to attempt to thin the neck out a bit. i could care less if it snaps....the things a piece of crap anyway. haha. as for thinning is it worth buying a spokeshave for or should i stick to 40 grit sandpaper (or 60 grit...i have a good collection of sandpaper). one last this. any advice for swirl finishing a guitar? i recently build a "telecaster" and want to swirl it.

thanks for reading!

Buy a flat scraper to thin the neck with, it should give you a lot of control and remove material well, but not so quick that you lose control. You may end up hitting the truss rod route, which would make the neck useless, but that seems like a risk you're willing to take. Finish profiling the neck with sandpaper. As for swirling, do a search of the forum, it's been covered many times. Also, there's a tutorial for it on projectguitar.com

Edited by thegarehanman