White Glue Questions

cukaracha

i plan to do a material finish using plastic wrapping paper and i have a few questions about white glue:

1. what is the average 'life span' of white glue (is it permanant)?

2. can white glue be used to glue the material directly onto the body that still has paint on it?

3. which is better? white glue vs epoxy vs wood glue for this material finish?

i plan to do a material finish using plastic wrapping paper and i have a few questions about white glue:

1. what is the average 'life span' of white glue (is it permanant)?

2. can white glue be used to glue the material directly onto the body that still has paint on it?

3. which is better? white glue vs epoxy vs wood glue for this material finish?

cukaracha, as usual, I have no clue Sounds like a paper machete project. Only using plastic wrap, rather than a guitar finishing project.

White glue is water soluble, and therefore is not a suitable glue unless you're making a piñata or want to remove the items in the future.

I guess to answer your question would depend on what material you're actually gluing to the body. You say it's plastic wrapping paper. For everybody else interested in gluing something to a body. This is my suggestion, first I would rough up the finish. So whatever glue you use has a better chance of bonding to the original finish. The heavier the material, or its surface properties such as mirrored glass or possibly metal (Smooth vs rough light vs heavy). Both of which have different surface properties, would determine the glue needed to bond the material to the guitar. Epoxy would certainly seem like a better choice to glue items to a previous finish. Even though Krazy glue is useful for a lot of woodworking tasks. I would stay away from that glue for long-term bonding. Polyurethane such as Gorilla glue creates a good Bond between different materials, but in the long run the strength of the bond using polyurethane glue is suspect but as long as you are not using it structurally its fine.

In the case of plastic wrap. I suggest you try several products, one being a polyurethane glue and the other being some sort of contact cement, contact cement being my first choice and probably the cheaper route since polyurethane glue is very expensive. Newer contact cements come in a water-soluble formula and are less likely to kill you from the fumes. My only question is, how are you planning to finish the plastic wrap, after you have it on the guitar? If you're going to finish over the plastic wrap, which is the only way to protect the guitar or should I say, your plastic wrap. I would first start with a shellac-based layer of finish then move on to any other finish of your choice. Unfortunately the edges of the plastic wrap are thick enough to cause problems with getting a smooth glasslike finish. Maybe some sort of clear Sanding sealer may make the lines less noticeable.

Good luck in your plastic endeavors.

I hope this gives you some insight into the use of glue and the application of unusual items onto your guitar.

Edited by Woodenspoke