How To Replace Electronics/pot/switch On A Semi-hollow

Its probably simple but I have no experience with these guitars - say a switch or knob goes loopy- how do you get the guts out? Through the f-hole perhaps? that's the only thing I can think of since there are no plates on the back.

Dont have one just window shopping and it occurred to me.

Likewise, how do you reposition the switch etc back into place? Do you need a special tool (thinking tongs or something lol)?

Edited by Voodoods

Its probably simple but I have no experience with these guitars - say a switch or knob goes loopy- how do you get the guts out? Through the f-hole perhaps? that's the only thing I can think of since there are no plates on the back.

Likewise, how do you reposition the switch etc back into place? Do you need a special tool (thinking tongs or something lol)?

We're talking 335 here, right ??

Well, simple is not necessarily easy... You'll need lot's of patience.

In earlier 335 guitars the electronics went in through the f-holes. Later models had a some wood removed from the bridge pickup cavity comunicating it with the control's area. The electronics went in through the bridge cavity in these models.

But there's a simple technic for removing, and more important, replacing the electronics in these guitars: Simply attach something to every piece of hardware "before" removing the nuts and letting them fall loose into the body. In this way you can later pull the thing back into it's hole. I use normal cotton strings for this, just tied to the pot post. Some people use surgical rubber tubing on the posts.

When you're putting the pieces back in place you simply pull the string/tubing until you have the pot/switch close enough to guide it with your fingers through the f-holes into their holes. Then, while holding them from the back (through the f-holes), you attach the nuts back.

First time you do it will take some time. By the third of fourth time you'll be pulling the electronics out and putting them back in in half an hour.

I suppose the factory guys can do it in 15 mins....

Edited by Blackdog

We're talking 335 here, right ??

Well, simple is not necessarily easy... You'll need lot's of patience.

In earlier 335 guitars the electronics went in through the f-holes. Later models had a some wood removed from the bridge pickup cavity comunicating it with the control's area. The electronics went in through the bridge cavity in these models.

But there's a simple technic for removing, and more important, replacing the electronics in these guitars: Simply attach something to every piece of hardware "before" removing the nuts and letting them fall loose into the body. In this way you can later pull the thing back into it's hole. I use normal cotton strings for this, just tied to the pot post. Some people use surgical rubber tubing on the posts.

When you're putting the pieces back in place you simply pull the string/tubing until you have the pot/switch close enough to guide it with your fingers through the f-holes into their holes. Then, while holding them from the back (through the f-holes), you attach the nuts back.

First time you do it will take some time. By the third of fourth time you'll be pulling the electronics out and putting them back in in half an hour.

I suppose the factory guys can do it in 15 mins....

OK that sounds like what I expected - the question was for a 335-type guitar, not necessarily a true-blue Gibson. I don't own one these sorts of guitars, I'm kind of window shopping and it had just occurred to me that it might be a pain to work on, but it sounds a little tedious but not overwhelming by any measure.