Prs/les Paul Hybrid:

On my SC. I have no issues reaching the higher frets. I have a Epi LP, and on mine it is sooo much easier! But mine is a 25 scale, 24 fret, so just a little different!

Thanks! Assuming I make more than one of these things (:D), I might have to make a baritone single cut. I would still like to make a 24.75" scale PRS double-cut design to spec with my original idea, but I think a nice Les Paul SC design with a baritone scale would be really nice to play. I want the 24.75 scale so I do not have to transpose everything but can have rolled-off mids, but I could see a baritone entering my regular guitar rotation.

So it looks like I have two guitars to plan:

1) PRS double-cut shaped, solid Mahogany body (at least in part due to cosmetic reasons), possibly a figured Maple cap (or some other nicely figured/flamed/attractive wood for the top), with Gibson Les Paul scale and mass/thickness, possibly with coil splitters, Seymour Duncan Seth Lover covered PAF-style pickups, and Gibson electronics, and;

2) Gibson Les Paul single-cut design guitar in a baritone scale with either Mahogany or Korina for an even warmer sound, and tone chambers for a slightly airy tone and a bit of a different feel than the PRS-shaped.

I will definitely be stealing your neck design idea for these guitars as well.

-Cheers

Edited by Dave I

Best I can tell, the Peavey HP is pretty much your "hybrid."

peavey_531520_tigerseye.jpg

Pretty close. Anybody ever try one? The reviews do not really compare it to a Les Paul, which is the sound I am looking for. The are a 24-fret vs. Gibson's 22-fret (not sure how much of a difference that makes) and a three-knob vs. a four-knob, and a slightly different carve than a PRS. But yeah, you could say I am kind of looking for a 22-fret, four-knob version of a Peavey HB. :D Not sure if the body dimensions are similar or not, but yes, it does look pretty close. Thanks for the post, I never knew these existed.

-Cheers

It looks like PRS has a LP Double Cut type design. http://www.prsguitars.com/mira/index.html

Its just missing the maple cap.

Just do whatever you want. Pretty much everything is feasible.

I prefer the traditional PRS Double Cut with the offset, or extended, bass-side horn:

front.jpg

Over the Gibson Les Paul Double Cut:

front_seafoam.jpg

There is a lot that is nice about the Mira, but I am not as big on the body cut-out of the Mira (or LP DC for that matter) as I am of the McCarty. They have just a gorgeous shape in my opinion.

So in that regard, I would cosmetically design it to be more like the McCarty, at least for the double-cut part near the neck, but probably sticking with traditional Les Paul dimensions otherwise. I am also wondering if I might be best served just using some sort of Mahogany body and getting a nicely figured Mahogany cap or flamed Limba cap and and keeping maple the hell away from this guitar for the thickest, most syrupy tone I can get. That sound is pretty much what I want out of this build, along with experience for future guitars.

-Cheers