Fret Buzz After Reattaching Ibanez Neck

Hi all,

I pulled out my ibanez from the basement and it still played great. rg 320. but the action was SUPER high. i remember it being high cuz of the enormous amount of fret buzz. anywho, i thought the bottom (bridge side) of the neck looked higher than a few few frets up so i took the neck off to see what it looked like underneath. there was a strip of sandpaper underneath the neck where it screws into the guitar. it was diagonal. anyway i took it out. reattached the neck, lowered the action and did some truss adjustments and still tons of fret buzz everywhere. did more truss adjustments and some bridge level adjustments and same thing everywhere. buzz buzz buzz. i read some tuts and still everything seems to be perfect but tons of buzz. the frets dont look too bad. the curve in the neck looks perfect (very minor) and the action looks great! it all LOOKS good anyway. is there a way using regular tools that i can measure out whats going on and isolate my problem? this ibanez sounds pretty good when its clean.

thanks all,

marco.

ps. amazing site eh! just found it.

it all LOOKS good anyway.

See, that's the thing. Looks are deceiving because minute changes can have pretty dramatic effects, at least, from what I've found.

I use a set of spark plug gauges to measure the relief at the sixth-seventh fret. Setting the relief really is the first thing you need to do, the other adjustments come after.

it all LOOKS good anyway.

See, that's the thing. Looks are deceiving because minute changes can have pretty dramatic effects, at least, from what I've found.

I use a set of spark plug gauges to measure the relief at the sixth-seventh fret. Setting the relief really is the first thing you need to do, the other adjustments come after.

understood and agreed. i guess the thing im really asking is, is it possible that the guitar is just useless? or is there a config that would eliminate most of the buzz and im just missing it. also, i had the fret buzz under control, but was looking at about 1/4" action at the 16th fret!

im starting to think my frets might be worn around the 12th but untouched around the 16th. should i check for this or is this to minute to cause bad buzz. i think i can see a little difference.

thanks bro,

marco.