How Thick Rosette Wood?

Most acoustic tops are around 1/8" in the rough, and you don't want the rosette channel to be deeper than that, you want to leave some spruce underneath. At the same time, you want the rosette to be slightly higher than the surrounding soundboard, so that you can sand it down flush. So 1/8" sounds fine to me.

After you cut the rosette channel, you'll want to seal it and the surrounding area with shellac before gluing the rosette in, so that the glue doesn't bleed into the spruce endgrain (discoloring it) and so that when you sand down the rosette, you don't get darker-colored dust trapped in the soundboard material surrounding the rosette.

I will install them at about .08". I like to leave them a little proud, not too much though. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I leave the soundboard a few thousandths thick and final sand with the rosette in.

Rich

Fryovanni, do you do that with all that incredable MOP inlay you do? Don't you ever worry about tearout? Just looking at an old bad rosette, and it is way thin, thinner than 1/16 I bet.

I will install them at about .08". I like to leave them a little proud, not too much though. I suppose it is worth mentioning that I leave the soundboard a few thousandths thick and final sand with the rosette in.

Rich

Fryovanni, do you do that with all that incredable MOP inlay you do? Don't you ever worry about tearout? Just looking at an old bad rosette, and it is way thin, thinner than 1/16 I bet.

The Shell I usually use for a rosette is either .06" or .05" depending. I have only done one inlayed piece in a soundboard and it was .06" material. Yes, tearout was a concern so I cut all the lines with an exacto knife. The bigger problem was the way spruce gets fuzzy and makes it very hard to see what you are doing.

Peace,Rich