What Cap Value Is This In My Les Paul?

Stew

I'm thinking about swapping out my ceramic caps for Luxe bumble bee caps in effort to make a more accurate reproduction Les Paul. So I snapped this pic of the inside of my current cap (there are two but you probably already knew that). What value cap is this? All I want to do is try to get the same cap value but in a bumble bee version. I may even swap out my stock 500T/490R pickups for some Lollar Imperials. In case you're interested, my Les Paul Goldtop is a '96 Standard. No Historic or anything.

PA275348.jpg

I'm thinking about swapping out my ceramic caps for Luxe bumble bee caps in effort to make a more accurate reproduction Les Paul. So I snapped this pic of the inside of my current cap (there are two but you probably already knew that). What value cap is this? All I want to do is try to get the same cap value but in a bumble bee version. I may even swap out my stock 500T/490R pickups for some Lollar Imperials. In case you're interested, my Les Paul Goldtop is a '96 Standard. No Historic or anything.

PA275348.jpg

0.02 µF (microfarad)

So it's not necessarily a 0.022 mfd? I have a choice of .015 and .022 only. I guess once I swap out to vintage spec'd pickups I'll be ok. I'm just wondering if the .022 would make the guitar too bright?

Are vintage '57 Les Pauls bright anyway? I mean I notice a nice screaming lead tone when in the neck position. I saw a YouTube clip of Steve Lukather playing an old '58 Les Paul and eventhough he's got the neck postion on, the tone sounds more like MY Les Paul in the bridge position. My Goldtop's neck position is very dark, jazz like in tone.

Correct me if I'm wrong about my capacitor switch concern. .02 vs .022 seems like a big difference.

-Stew

So it's not necessarily a 0.022 mfd? I have a choice of .015 and .022 only. I guess once I swap out to vintage spec'd pickups I'll be ok. I'm just wondering if the .022 would make the guitar too bright?

Are vintage '57 Les Pauls bright anyway? I mean I notice a nice screaming lead tone when in the neck position. I saw a YouTube clip of Steve Lukather playing an old '58 Les Paul and eventhough he's got the neck postion on, the tone sounds more like MY Les Paul in the bridge position. My Goldtop's neck position is very dark, jazz like in tone.

Correct me if I'm wrong about my capacitor switch concern. .02 vs .022 seems like a big difference.

-Stew

Not a biggie, you will never hear a difference between .02 or .022 - besides, your caps probably have a plus-minus 20% tolerance anyway.

The .022 will give a "duller" tone than a .02 which will give a "duller" tone than a .015. But you are really trying to split the hair off a knat's rear end with the difference between .022 and .02.

Of course there are people that claim to hear the difference between manufacturers of capacitors of the same value - and that is just way too inside of being mystical for me.