Maple Top Flip Flop

Hey I noticed something about my guitar top as I was prepping it for finish. It seems that the top "reflects" figure on one side and then when I move it the maple will flip and show the figure on the other side and then the other side will kinda go away not entirely but significantly. What I am trying to figure out is it something I did or just the nature of the peice of maple. It is book matched and mated pretty well so I am kinda confused. It seems that the figure kinda runs out from one side to the other. The figure is strong on both side but one side has a little less depth than the other. Almost not even noticable. Hmmm has anyone else ever had the same issue. :D.

That's normal, and if you think about what the figure's doing in a bookmatched top, it'll make sense; basically, the grain's moving in the mirror image direction to the other side (what's going 'into' the top on one side is coming 'out of' the top on the other; the effect is particularly noticeable with flamed maple, I find, but present in pretty much all wood with figuring defined by grain fluctuation).

Look at this picture of one of my quilt tops, f'r instance:

quilt_ct07.jpg

Particularly the right-hand side of the picture; the light and dark areas are 'reversed' for the two halves, and I assure you the figure's equaly good on both pieces.

That's normal, and if you think about what the figure's doing in a bookmatched top, it'll make sense; basically, the grain's moving in the mirror image direction to the other side (what's going 'into' the top on one side is coming 'out of' the top on the other; the effect is particularly noticeable with flamed maple, I find, but present in pretty much all wood with figuring defined by grain fluctuation).

Look at this picture of one of my quilt tops, f'r instance:

quilt_ct07.jpg

Particularly the right-hand side of the picture; the light and dark areas are 'reversed' for the two halves, and I assure you the figure's equaly good on both pieces.

yea its not quite like that it much more extreme. I have finished it and when you hold the guitar one side will be kinda like blah and the otherside is lit up. I am gonna have to post pics and show you guys what I am talking about. I cant fully explain with out pics. Ill get some up tonight

here are some pics. I kinda see what mattia was talking about. But either way let me know if this is common? Also please understand that I am not done with the guitar yet. O and the pickup holes are sloppy but they cover. It is the silverish one not the sunburts prs copy.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554985896XxFwcw

I see nothing out of the ordinary. What Mattia is saying is spot on the money. You are probably looking at pictures of wood that has been stained and sanded back. That will show the figure at every angle, because you are not seeing the effect of reflection you are seeing the stain(maybe I should be saying dye). To me the look is not as cool or deep as seeing the actual look of the figure.

Peace,Rich

Looks completely normal to me. It's not just common, it's just the way things look. Also, stained wood, without the clearcoat, looks downright hideous. It's also got a far more 'in your face' look when finished, as opposed to unstained, slightly tinted finish wood; both look good, it's mostly down to taste.