Help With Replacing Strat Pickguard?

First post. Hi to all.

I've got a project going where I'm converting my Squire Stagemaster (by Fender but China made) strat's config from two humbuckers to three single coils. Of course, the original pickguard is not reusable. Is there any reason I can't use the pickguard shown here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/White-Pear...-3-Single/H6341 ?

I've got to make a small notch at the bottom of the pickguard to accomodate the Floyd Rose tremolo arm, but I think I can manage that. However, I have heard about some incompatibility issues with Squire pickguards and standard Fender strat pickguards, but I can't remember is the problem the shape of the pickguard or is it only that the screw holes don't match (which would not be too hard to remedy).

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks.

Edited by Petros

After some more investigating in which I tried comparing the shapes of the two pickguards (i.e., the Squire pickguard with the available replacement types) using Photoshop, I do think they are not the same shape. I think it's one of those inconsistencies you see with import strats as opposed to the American made. I decided to order a plastic pickguard blank from Grizzly.com and attempt my own cut, though the only tools I have to use are either a hand-held electric jig saw, a coping saw, (also called a "jeweler's saw"), or X-acto knife, and I'm leaning toward a slow cut with a coping saw.

Edited by Petros

After some more investigating in which I tried comparing the shapes of the two pickguards (i.e., the Squire pickguard with the available replacement types) using Photoshop, I do think they are not the same shape. I think it's one of those inconsistencies you see with import strats as opposed to the American made. I decided to order a plastic pickguard blank from Grizzly.com and attempt my own cut, though the only tools I have to use are either a hand-held electric jig saw, a coping saw, (also called a "jeweler's saw"), or X-acto knife, and I'm leaning toward a slow cut with a coping saw.

Have you thought about replacing the Squire guard with....a Squier pickguard? They're easy to find (cheap too), just look on ebay.

The biggest inconsistencies among strat-shaped pickguards are in the holes --screw holes especially.

At any rate, I'd suggest modifying an existing guard before attempting to cut your own. You can also find strat guards that haven't been routed for pickups, etc. But it sounds like you just want the standard configuaration anyway.

Already got a pearloid blank from grizzly.com. Created a 5/8" HDF template from the original pickguard. Taped the template to the blank. Hacked it with a coping saw. Bandaged my left index finger when the saw slipped. Filed the edges smooth to the template. Used an X-Acto blade to fine fit the pickups. Copied the screw placement from the original. Thanked the gods when the thing fit perfectly. But I STILL don't know the exact wiring diagram I'm going to use for the new Lace pickups (though it's looking good).

Talk about "hand made."

Edited by Petros