Rushing Always = Disaster

Well I was rushing on my current guitar project, because I only have one month to finish it in. Well in my rush I was trying to do many things at once. I was gluing the blocks in the sides, and while that was drying I cut the back out (left about 1/4" -1/2" extra) I used my original template . I got the braces on and everything, the sides were all ready and I went to place it on the back just to see how it fit. Well as you can tell by now, My sides somehow turned out about 1" bigger than the original template. Now due to lack of time to get more wood, and lack of funds, I don't know what to do. any suggestions other than starting over on the back???

Well I was rushing on my current guitar project, because I only have one month to finish it in. Well in my rush I was trying to do many things at once. I was gluing the blocks in the sides, and while that was drying I cut the back out (left about 1/4" -1/2" extra) I used my original template . I got the braces on and everything, the sides were all ready and I went to place it on the back just to see how it fit. Well as you can tell by now, My sides somehow turned out about 1" bigger than the original template. Now due to lack of time to get more wood, and lack of funds, I don't know what to do. any suggestions other than starting over on the back???

Are the sides bigger or the back smaller? If you haven't got the soundboard on yet what I would do is use a hot spatula and pull off the head block and tail block and trim the sides smaller, moving them in. Glue it all back up and work out other issues that might now arise (bridge position change etc.) A smaller box might lose some bottom end, but if its to your original template size you should be right.

What kind of timber is it?

Are you using a form? In what way is the rim larger? Longer, Wider in the lower bout, Wider in the upper bout, wider in the waist?? A picture would help.

Ptt-Guitars is on the right track if you cut the halves of the rim too long. Pulling the blocks, and re-cutting would be no big deal. If you have not made a mold, or some sort of form (dowels or whatever). Do so, it will save you from having these kind of issues, and will make attaching backs and soundboards much easier.

I am also curious as to what type of back it is.

the wood I am using is Black Acacia (Australian Blackwood). The sides were too wide, the length was fine. I took the blocks out and am working on gluing it back together. I have not built the top yet (luckly). I made a new mold for this project, I did not however check to see if the mold was the same size as the original (newbies mistake :D ).

I always trim my sides to width after I've bent them and glued in the blocks. Can't be bothered to work out what the profile is in advance when doing it post-gluing takes all of, what, 10 minutes? (plus more time with the sanding dish, but not MUCH more time...)

Edited by Mattia

I always trim my sides to width after I've bent them and glued in the blocks. Can't be bothered to work out what the profile is in advance when doing it post-gluing takes all of, what, 10 minutes? (plus more time with the sanding dish, but not MUCH more time...)

I don't think the issue was depth, if I am following. :D