Spokeshave Help

anderekel

Ok, I had my aunt lookin' through my grandfather's tools to see if he had one I could use, but they can't find one, so I'm gonna buy one. I've seen that Lie Neilson (sp) seems to be considered the best. I've also seen that the veritas one's from lee valley are rather highly reccomended, at least the low angle one, the others I didn't see any thoughts on. Then there's numerous cheaper ones that I've seen are good after you give them a nice tune up and maybe a new blade. I'm in the position of not wanting to spend 120 or so for the lie, that's a lot of money, but I also don't want to get get a cheap one that I have to do a lot to to make it work decently. So, I'm wondering if there are any recommendations on a middle of the road one that will be pretty good, but not break the bank. I was lookin' at the low angle veritas one, I saw that Rich (fryovanni) got one and liked it. The biggest thing I wonder about is the low angle part though, does that make a big difference? Is it harder or easier to use, cut worse or better or anything like that? Thanks for you time all,

Derek

Edited by anderekel

Ok, I had my aunt lookin' through my grandfather's tools to see if he had one I could use, but they can't find one, so I'm gonna buy one. I've seen that Lie Neilson (sp) seems to be considered the best. I've also seen that the veritas one's from lee valley are rather highly reccomended, at least the low angle one, the others I didn't see any thoughts on. Then there's numerous cheaper ones that I've seen are good after you give them a nice tune up and maybe a new blade. I'm in the position of not wanting to spend 120 or so for the lie, that's a lot of money, but I also don't want to get get a cheap one that I have to do a lot to to make it work decently. So, I'm wondering if there are any recommendations on a middle of the road one that will be pretty good, but not break the bank. I was lookin' at the low angle veritas one, I saw that Rich (fryovanni) got one and liked it. The biggest thing I wonder about is the low angle part though, does that make a big difference? Is it harder or easier to use, cut worse or better or anything like that? Thanks for you time all,

Derek

Derek: Yes yes and no???? Sorry to many questions to answer at once. I think the Lee Valley is the right choice, good but not 120 bills. I have used this model and both Stanley (older antiques) and newer Record models. Each one has its plus and minus features. Since you have never used a spokeshave before you will have no reference from which to base a subjective opinon on, about how one model will feel over another.

I think you have made the only logical choice given your situation. The low angle does not make it a better spokeshave over others but I think for neck work the design makes a slight difference allowing it to work in tighter areas where only a rasp could go before. But don't expect it to do everything either, other tools will be required.

Derek,

I think Woodenspoke pretty much nailed it. At this point you really don't have a point of reference, and I am not really sure how much time you have spent setting up planes(if you are experienced and can set up a regular plane well, a spokeshave is pretty much the same gig). I can tell you the Veritas low angle is a monkey from a different tree(setup and adjustments are not as most planes are set up). Personally, I found the adjustability to be very straight forward and I would imagine it would be easier for a person who is new to planes(the sole is adjusted not the blade, which actually allows you to say place a feeler gauge under the shoe while holding the spokeshave down to a good flat surface and tighten the set screws- BAM your done). If you are used to planes, you will do what I did and stare at the thing, thinking that doesn't look right (actually the salesman that sold it to me couldn't figure it out, until we pulled out the manual). Out of the box the blade was pretty sharp, but kinda makes little difference to me as sharpening is a part of using any blade(be sure you are up to speed sharpening, or come up to speed. You will never be happy with any of your bladed tools till you can put the good edge on them).

The benifit to the Veritas low angle spokeshave is all in the sole(which can be flipped for a wider or tight radiused sole). Beyond that... the set up is kinda good and bad, it is easy-good, it is not going to help you get used to regular plane set ups-not so good. You will never go wrong with Lie Neilson(fine quality tools), but you have to learn how to properly use, and maintain them. There are plenty of spokeshave out there(more standard style) that are absolutely viable tools for less money, but this will add to your learning curve(again I see that as both good and bad).

For the money I think the Veritas is reasonable. Anytime money is a big consideration though, my first thought is buy a well used second hand tool. Often you can find a nice well set up stanley for maybe $10-20 second hand or well used antiques for a bit more and not break the bank. Avoid buying a poorly set up cheap tool that never really was used, because it is not likely a bargain (they are cheap to begin with).

As Spoke mentioned, you still need to use other tools along with a spokeshave for neck shaping.

Peace,Rich

Yep, I know that I'll need other tools to help shape the neck as well.

The biggest thing is that I don't have much experience with planes and the like, I do, however, know how to sharpen a blade. I didn't think about goin' used, don't know why, I usually buy lots of stuff used, so I'm gonna take a look and see what I can find. Thanks for the info Spoke and Rich

• 2 weeks later...