Recessed Edge

Okay, quick quick QUICK question...

I bought some plans from Guitarplansunlimited and he said he couldn't find any info on recessing the bridge so we just raised the fingerboard...

BUT!

I have decided to atleast try recess it, if it goes bung i'll sell the edge and put in an OFR or something similar.

In the plans my body was 1 3/4" and the fingerboard was 1/2" above the guitar.

Right now I have a 1/4" fingerboard and the neck is flush with the body, which is now 2"

If I recess the bridge 1/4", it would be the same as having a 1/2" fingerboard, Right?

Cheers :D

...I don't get the question, really. Or how recessing an Edge or a FR is different in any significant manner (ie, if you 'screw it up', changing the bridge is hardly going to make a difference)

If you recess the bridge, it's like having the neck/fingerboard thinner/lower. You're just 'moving down' the whole shebang.

If it's a bolt on, just go ahead and recess if the body allows, and then fiddle with shims.

Basically though:

Draw it. Full size. Side view. Accurately.

All your questions will be answered.

...I don't get the question, really. Or how recessing an Edge or a FR is different in any significant manner (ie, if you 'screw it up', changing the bridge is hardly going to make a difference)

If you recess the bridge, it's like having the neck/fingerboard thinner/lower. You're just 'moving down' the whole shebang.

If it's a bolt on, just go ahead and recess if the body allows, and then fiddle with shims.

Basically though:

Well, thanks for the reply :D

It is with a neck-thru which I can't /really/ make angled, I know it's possible except I'm a further down the line.

The two questions that I jsut wanted confirmation on are:

So is recessing an edge any different from recessing any other trem?

If I can have it recessed, does it make up for the action lost by not having the neck angled?

Thanks in advance :D

Basically though:

Well, thanks for the reply :D

It is with a neck-thru which I can't /really/ make angled, I know it's possible except I'm a further down the line.

The two questions that I jsut wanted confirmation on are:

So is recessing an edge any different from recessing any other trem?

If I can have it recessed, does it make up for the action lost by not having the neck angled?

Thanks in advance :D

What type of edge are you using?(there are several trems models that are called "edge").

You are learning a good lesson about neck throughs. You have to plan ahead fully before starting, not a design that can be done without having all your ducks in a row.

Since many "edge" trems are normally recessed a bit, you have to give information about the model or nobody is going to be able to help. There are tutorials on routing for some models

You can and SHOULD draw your guitar up, full size, in profile. This will tell you EXACTLY how the strings will align. You should have done this before making your first cut(at least that is what just about everyone else does). There is a tutorial on how to go about drawing this up. If you don't put in the work to do this, your winging it, and your guitar may be a disaster or you may by sheer dumb luck make it work.

I had it all drawn up, to scale and had everything working and thought I was just making minor adjustments.

I could still do it exactly to plan, having a raised fingerboard; But I thought that recessing the edge would be easier.

The edge is an original edge, I think it's found on some RG570's/550's and they've all got un-angled necks and are recessed but I just couldn't find any information on the pocket sizes.

Hopefully this has cleared things up,

Again, thanks for the replies :D