Making My First Guitar

Hello everyone, I am Fourteen Years Old and me and my Dad are going to be making a Warmoth Stratocaster. I was wondering about finishing the Guitar, mainly about the paint. We read the original Guitars by Fender were done with DuPont Lacquer, but we also found a Paint from ReRanch.com I want to do Baby Blue (Sonic Blue) MAYBE Surf Green, but Sonic Blue seems more original.

Now, I was wondering, how long does the paint and lacquer from them take to cure? I was a finish that will Relic itself over the years, I don't want a beast that for 50 years will look the same, so I was just wondering.

Thank you all! This is my first Guitar I will be making, I own a Les Paul Standard from 2005 now. This Strat will have a Boat Neck with Lindy Fralin Real '54 Pickups, a Left Handed Tremolo (it is more comfortable for me, and yes, also a nod to Stevie Ray), and it is going to be set up by a Guitar friend of mines Dad. But me and my Dad want to paint, so we were wondering if we should seek DuPont or go to ReRanch.

Sincerely,

Zack.

I am not familiar with the DuPont lacquer, I am not even sure if it is still available. The Reranch is a very nice nitrocellulose lacquer to work with. It takes about 30 days to cure to the point that it is ready to polish. Some tutorials say you can polish after 2 weeks, but the lacquer is going to continue to shrink back after it is polished and within a few months you'll need to polish again. If you wait the 30 days, you should get a nice level finish. Lacquer continues to shrink for it's entire life which is what causes the checking (cracks) but slows down over time.

Okay thank you! Do you think I will only need one can of paint? Also, do I put the Guitar together AFTER the 30 day, or 2 week, first polish?

Zack,

Get at least three cans of finish, wait as long as you can possibly stand before assembling

Roman