Truss Rod Troubles

I'm just getting started with my first project guitar and I'm a bit confused with what to do for the trussrod. I've already bought one which is an aluminium square shaped channel with a steel rod running inside.

I've read through Melyn Hiscock's book, which doesn't directly deal with these rods, but does suggest that they should be glue into a flat bottomed channel cut into the neck face beneith the fretboard, and that they don't require a fillet.

I've also read Dennis Waring & David Raymond's book and it suggests a similar rod which isn't filleted but they do not mention gluing at all.

I have also read this http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/neck.htm and the rod used looks alot like what I have, but he makes a curved channel and covers with a fillet.

This has left me really confused, I really don't want the hassle of cutting a curved channel or making a fillet so, do I need a different type of rod?

Hi, and welcome to the Forum! :D

From your description of your truss rod I'd say you need to go with the Hiscock method. You will need to rout a flat bottomed channel the same width and depth as your rod (but allow a tiny fraction of a gap at the sides for gluing), and you'll need to work out the length and position of where it will go by placing it where it will go on the neck. You won't need a fillet on top of the rod. You will already have decided if it's adjusted at headstock or body, of course! Assuming headstock adjustment, you need to work out where the nut will sit so as to have room to get an allen key into the truss rod nut! You should rub the round steel rod part and the threaded parts with lubricant like a candle or similar. Place some masking tape along the open side of the rod casing (having re-assembled the rod first of course!) to prevent glue going in there and preventing the rod from working. Glue the rod open side down (ie. away from fingerboard) into the neck channel using epoxy, wiping off any excess. Let the glue dry for a few hours. Sand top surface smooth again if necessary. That's you ready to stick on fingerboard....but that's a whole different subject! :D

Hope this helps!

Hopefully some of the more experienced fellas here will chip in as well.

DJ