Musicman Bass Pickup Route...

How about you do the safe thing and get the hardware in your hands before performing a task that is irreversible....?

Just a thought.......

:D

i would definatly second that;

but if you absolutly have to get ahead of yourself (hopefully just for templating not routing)

go to ebay and find the pickup, its a basic shape/model so look for knock off chinese guys and scroll thru the pages;

someone will have every measurement you can think of for that.

fyi- the corner radius is gonna have to be whatever the smallest bearing you can get on your router

stewmac sell a 3/8 flush which is the smallest ive seen

People route for pickups all the time without necessarily having the piece in hand...that's the beauty of interchangeable parts and premade templates. If I made a unique template for every guitar humbucker I've routed instead of using a standard template I would have pulled my hair out by now. For this project though, I'd like to get my template up and running and make some progress on the body while I'm waiting on my pickups. I don't build all that many basses so that's why I need a few specs.

I don't have the specs on the MM4, but I used 1/4" radius corners on the rout for my Bart MM5, worked great. For the template I marked and drilled the corners with a 1/4" forstner bit on a drill press, hogged out the rest with a bigger forstner, then used the router just to clean up the edges.

Just like you'd do on the actual rout. :D

People route for pickups all the time without necessarily having the piece in hand...that's the beauty of interchangeable parts and premade templates. If I made a unique template for every guitar humbucker I've routed instead of using a standard template I would have pulled my hair out by now. For this project though, I'd like to get my template up and running and make some progress on the body while I'm waiting on my pickups. I don't build all that many basses so that's why I need a few specs.

i think what rai6 was getting at is what i beleive, that having the piece your trying to copy infront of you while templating;

its quite another thing to use a template over again before you have a pickup in your hand because you know its worked before; and was prolly made originally w/ the pup in hand; or bought from someone with the real measurements;

is the project that crucial that you couldnt wait for delivery?

its not a bad thing to be exited about your build, but if your referencing hiscocks book to difuse someones (maybe previous experience or) valid concerns, you might be headed for dissapointment.

good luck;

and add some pictures ,its more funner

Yeah, it's one thing to have routed for humbuckers before.

Chances are the next brand will be similar enough to fit your template.

However, if I had never routed for it, I wouldn't trust some measurement I picked up online.

Not-in-hand measurements are good for planning, but that's where it should stop.

For me, "that should work" isn't acceptable....