Amp Screeching

Dudz

Hey guys I've been having trouble with my fender hot rod deluxe tube amp. Do you guys know why my amp is making screeching/crackling/popping noises when turning it off of standby and then more at random times. I believe this could be due to failing tubes/capacitors/resistors but I've also heard that it could be the cable. I am going to test each cable being used with the amp (there's 4 of them I know I don't have enough pedals). Thanks for the hep here at the forum guys.

Hey guys I've been having trouble with my fender hot rod deluxe tube amp. Do you guys know why my amp is making screeching/crackling/popping noises when turning it off of standby and then more at random times. I believe this could be due to failing tubes/capacitors/resistors but I've also heard that it could be the cable. I am going to test each cable being used with the amp (there's 4 of them I know I don't have enough pedals). Thanks for the hep here at the forum guys.

Yes, I would test cables, but it could be a tube. The insides of a tube can become rattly due to vibrations from the amp when it's in use and also transporting it. They can also develop bad contacts where they plug into the chassis. A gentle tap on each one may reveal if one or more of them is having problems. If a tap provokes the problem, you can try replacing it with a spare and/or clean the pins and contacts. Sometimes just pulling a tube out of it's socket and putting it back can fix a bad contact. Always turn off the power before replacing a tube, or cleaning the contacts, and use good quality non-residue contact cleaner (not something like WD40).

It can also come from things that are in the room with the amp.For example lights,computer,etc.Other eletrical equiptment can interfer with tube amps.Unstable power supply can cause problems ,too.

Yep, even things like the fridge or washing machine switching on and off can come through high gain amps, especially if they aren't well shielded. Also, try sitting in front of your average home computer with a guitar using single coil pickups. :D

Yeah I tested the cablesd and did a flick test on the tubes and 1 power tube rattled a little so the amp is going off to the store tomorrow as it is under warrantee by both fender and the store and it is still within 90 days so the tubes will be free to replace. I would buy better tubes than fender factory tubes (groove tubes) but my father won't let me so I will have to wait until the tubes go again to get some more than decent tubes in the thing. For now I will have a replacement amp until mine gets back as the amp may be sent to fender and even if the store handles it they usually have alot to do and take there sweet time with everything.

Yeah I tested the cablesd and did a flick test on the tubes and 1 power tube rattled a little so the amp is going off to the store tomorrow as it is under warrantee by both fender and the store and it is still within 90 days so the tubes will be free to replace. I would buy better tubes than fender factory tubes (groove tubes) but my father won't let me so I will have to wait until the tubes go again to get some more than decent tubes in the thing. For now I will have a replacement amp until mine gets back as the amp may be sent to fender and even if the store handles it they usually have alot to do and take there sweet time with everything.

Let us know what he found it's good to pick up some knowledge.

Just got back from maine and called up the store. My amp has had a tube replacement and all the soldering has been checked and any possibly faulty areas have been re-soldered..... All for free! :D That's why I got the extended warrantee. Going into town to pick it up today.

Just got back from maine and called up the store. My amp has had a tube replacement and all the soldering has been checked and any possibly faulty areas have been re-soldered..... All for free! :D That's why I got the extended warrantee. Going into town to pick it up today.

Good news. Sounds like a bottle was rattly, and maybe a dry joint or too.

All is well now. My amp is back in my bedroom and it sounds great with no annoying noises! When I tested it in the store to make sure it worked I also found the perfect type of guitar for it, Telecaster with overwound pickups! The tone was like texas blues meets british classic rock.