My project, some questions

Ace

They say when a mistake is made, a lesson has been learned. Let's just say I had my share of lessons today. Stupid wiring on my strat project...I had wired as well the middle pup out of phase (didn't think about the reverse wound thing) and had wired them backwards to the pup selector, so that "switch in top position" was bridge pup and vice versa. Other than that she plays remarkably well for such a heap of cheap parts...

Anyway I decided to fix the wiring, that's where the trouble started. When I unsoldered the wires on the middle pup (instead of just switching between hot and ground on the other side I took the wires off the pu, for colour coding reasons) I accidentally killed the middle pickup, the thin wire (the actual inside wire of the pup) went out of the soldering point where it contacts the connection wire. I noticed it because I double checked all positions before reassembling the pickguard. Then I tried to fix it. That piece of wire was about 3 nanometers too short to be soldered back on spot, so after many fruitless tries I decided to go hogwild, pull off the tape around the pickup and just take one round of wiring off, so that I have enoguh spare to solder it back on. By that time the bobbin had already taken quite a beating from the soldering gun. that actually worked...until I reassembled it. I was not to astonished that it didn't work anymore when I put it all back togehter...which was not an easy task in itself, remember the backwards cabling on the selector switch? I had to move the cable from the neck pup two lugs down on the switch and now guess what? Since there is no pool rout, the wire was not long enough to run through that "wire tunnel" in the middle of the routing anymore. I had to solder it off the switch and insert another piece of wire which I then soldered to the switch again and protected the solder point with electrical tape. I'm itching to fix the middle pickup since I'm gonna give the guitar to my student tomorrow but I know already now that when I take off the strings AGAIN and put them back on AGAIN I WILL break the high E string. Why the High E? Easy, because that happened to me last time, so I have a set with all strings, except a high E lying around...

I'm remarkably calm for my normal temper and I'm a bit puzzled why I have not smashed anything yet...I don't want to take a risk as of now.

so long

ace

Couldn't resist...I left the strings on, loosened them a bit unscrewed the pickguard...was only the connection middle pup to selector switch, no need for disassembling the pup this time *whew*. After I put her back together I noticed that the tone controls act funny and that I could live with a master tone and the second pot converted to "neck on", but I should go to bed or PLAY a bit much rather than take it apart for the 60-oddth time...

so long

ace