Testing Sg Circut

Claptonfreak

I just finished wiring all of the components together in my SG harness. I just have to add the pickups and solder their respective wires together. I tested all of the grounds with a multimeter and everything seems to make a connection to the main ground. However, I haven't been able to test the resistance of any other components, I assume it is because of the capacitors in the circuit. Here is the wiring diagram I followed,

1217_0133_1.gif

Does anyone know the best places for me to put the multimeter to ensure everything is connected properly.

Ps. In place of the pickups there are just wires that will be soldered to the pickup wires shortly.

I just finished wiring all of the components together in my SG harness. I just have to add the pickups and solder their respective wires together. I tested all of the grounds with a multimeter and everything seems to make a connection to the main ground. However, I haven't been able to test the resistance of any other components, I assume it is because of the capacitors in the circuit. Here is the wiring diagram I followed,

Does anyone know the best places for me to put the multimeter to ensure everything is connected properly.

Ps. In place of the pickups there are just wires that will be soldered to the pickup wires shortly.

You really can't do it like that. For example, you can't measure the resistance of the volume pot, because it is shorted by the wire you put in place of the pickup. For a simple circuit like this, you are really better off checking it visually, then plugging it in and trying it. There's no risk of blowing anything up. You can test it before you assemble it all into the guitar as well as there's no dangerous voltages involved, just leave it all on the bench and connect it to an amp.

Just a note - rather than going to the trouble of stringing up a guitar to test if my wiring setup is working like expected, I use a small metal tuning fork - plug the guitar in, and give the tuning fork a whack so it makes a note, and hold it over the pickups. The pickups will pickup the tuning fork just like a string, letting you check that you got everything wired up the right way and working before you bother stringing it up. With some builds, it's not a big problem to open up the back cavity and fix that volume pot you wired backwards, but it makes life easier with strats or archtops. I often do my wiring all up and check it before I even mount it in the guitar, depending on how the guitar goes together.