Inlay Problems...

Littleman

I just started inlay not too long ago, I've been doing pretty good... but when I route into the wood so it will accept the inlay I am finding it difficult not to have any gaps here and there. Is there a trick to doing it?

I'm using a dremel with the correct down cutting bit & the precision router base from Stew Mac.

I have been inlaying MoP and Abalone Shell mostly.

The method I use right now is after I cut out the piece, I set it on the wood and scribe around it with an exact knife showing the edges. Then I route away the wood inside those lines. But then to get it to fit, I have to make the route slightly larger here and there and I usually end up making gaps here and there.

Thanks in advance-

I just started inlay not too long ago, I've been doing pretty good... but when I route into the wood so it will accept the inlay I am finding it difficult not to have any gaps here and there. Is there a trick to doing it?

I'm using a dremel with the correct down cutting bit & the precision router base from Stew Mac.

I have been inlaying MoP and Abalone Shell mostly.

The method I use right now is after I cut out the piece, I set it on the wood and scribe around it with an exact knife showing the edges. Then I route away the wood inside those lines. But then to get it to fit, I have to make the route slightly larger here and there and I usually end up making gaps here and there.

Thanks in advance-

I am about to start trying to acquire this skill also. I looked at the router bases for the Dremel, and also the one Stewmac sells. It seems to me that accuracy might be hard with something so big. I am designing (in my head at the moment) and device that will accept the small 'pen' on the end of the flexible shaft from my Dremel-copy device. The pen is much smaller than the Dremel device itself, and hence a much smaller, more accurate, router-jig should be possible.

I suspect also, that much practice will be required :D

Check your angle of the side of the hole. If you have cut an angle into it, you might have to make it bigger to get it to fit right, then there will be gaps.

what i learned in woodworking is to leave about 1/16 inch extra material around whatever your trying to inlay that way if there are any problems you can slowly cut (exacto knife) or sand (with very fine grit) away at where it needs to be cut for it to fit nice and snug :D

i hope that helps? i think that was your question