Depth Of Tele Neck Pocket?

Dimensions as given on the Warmoth site are 5/8" (15.9mm). Neck thickness, including fingerboard, but not frets, is 1"(25.4mm).

So, I am building a tele and have routed the neck pocket to the given depth. My neck is 25.5mm - close enough. When I sit the neck in the pocket, and sit the bridge beside it on the face of the guitar, it appears that the bridge saddles will need to be adjusted near the top of their range. I also am thinking that, on final assembly, the bridge will be higher by the thickness of the guitar paint/finish, and the neck will be lower, fractionally, as it is clamped down tight in the pocket.

I cross checked these dimensions against a Tele copy (don't have a real one) and it had a 25.5mm neck also, but they made the neck pocket 2mm deeper. This makes sense according to what I am observing.

Does anyone know what the actual neck and pocket dimensions of a real Tele are? Maybe I should leave it as is, because when I have it complete, if I need to, I can always shave the neck or the pocket to make it fit better.

Well, that confirms the depth at 15.875, so I will leave it alone until I actually get the strings on and try it.

No no, that only confirms that that depth will work with the same neck as used in the diagram.

You have to work with the actual neck you'll be using, take your own measurements and route accordingly.

An additional measurement I like to use to verify things is the height of the fretboard at its highest point above the surface of the guitar. That should be around 9-10 mm.

This will allow you to keep the saddles at the proper height.

An additional measurement I like to use to verify things is the height of the fretboard at its highest point above the surface of the guitar. That should be around 9-10 mm.

This will allow you to keep the saddles at the proper height.

I have 10.5 mm with the neck just sitting in the pocket (not screwed in yet, and no paint/finish on the guitar, just bare wood) so it's not going to be far wrong.

Thanks for the tip.