Coil Cut Not Working As Expected

John Abbett

Guys/Gals.

I wired my newest guitar using this diagram. It's Exactly wired like this:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2206

It's two HB with a push pull on one tone to coil tap both HB.

Everything works. It's really clean and organized. The problem is this.

The HB I bought from Guitar fetish are a neck and bridge combo. They are wired the same, but the posts are reversed. One side has screw posts and the other is blank posts. On the second HB it's reversed the Screw Posts are on the opposite side of the HB and the blank posts are hidden under the cover.

+ is screw posts, 0 is blank posts under the cover.

Neck HB

+ + + + + +

0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Bridge HB

0 0 0 0 0 0 0

+ + + + + +

The wiring is the same for both HB.

So I pull the single coil switch, and both pickups go to single coil. The problem is it's the bottom half of the HB in both cases. That's great for the bridge pickup. The + posts work great, great volume, etc. The Neck pickup is split and is using the blank posts, which are under the cover and I have a large volume loss.

I need to figure out how to coil split the neck pickup and leave the top half of the HB active.

My HB wiring is like this:

Neck:

Start - Black = Ground

+ + + + + +

End - White

Start - Green = +

0 0 0 0 0 0 0

End - Red

Bridge:

Start - Black = Ground

0 0 0 0 0 0 0

End - White

Start - Green = +

+ + + + + +

End - Red

Red and white are connected, and go to the coil cut switch. In the example above if you connect red and white and ground them, it bypasses the bottom HB. It does the same on the other HB, but that's not the half I want to cut. I want to cut the other half.

The other hb is the same wiring, just the + and 0 are reversed.

I thought about how to do this, and I don't want to reverse the polarity of the two HB. If I just reverse the wiring on the HB that is wrong, when I'm in the middle possition in HB mode, the two pickups will be out of phase.

Any suggestions? I think I've got a pretty good handle on this, but just don't see an answer.

-John

Thanks for the response. You're thinking.. That's a great start.

The problem is that the single cut actives the dummy studs, not the screw studs. They are under the cover and I get a volume drop.

If I reverse the ground and the +, it would active the correct set of poles, but then the entire HB would be out of phase when I'm using both HB.

It's going to be a more complex change I think.

Why are the poles reversed in your second pickup? That's just stupid, it should be the same as the neck, just turned around inside the body. Isn't that how pickups usually are?

Well, I think you're going to want to ground out green and black instead, and then use either white or red as the hot, and ground the other one, like this diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...=coil_splitting since you want the other coil.

But since you have the green and black opposite of the first picture, I think you're going to want the white running to hot and the red grounded instead of following the second picture exactly. That should keep it in phase...

If you just reverse the ground and hot, that does nothing but reverse the phase, so you'd be out of phase and have the same problem that you already do.

Well...the "dummy studs" are no dummies...often these have more metal in them than the screw poles...there is little between them as far as sound goes. I take it that you want the coil further from the bridge to be activated but the magnetic polarity is reversed...you can simply reverse the bridge pickup wires...but then it will be out of phase when not split too...

hmmm...I think it is too early for me to think through this just now...

Remember that, although an HB coil may appear to be reverse wired to another, the magnet is also reversed making the effect the same.

what are your thoughts on the matter...it sounds as if you may need to reverse the magnet and the wires on the bridge pickup...no, that would still have an out of phase affect with unlike coils I think...

I have never done this mod for universal splitting myself...I have used 3 way switches to split to either coil individually, and I think individual switches may be required to get exactly the effect you want.

So...with the original version, it's not out of phase I take it, it is only when you want to use the inner coil this happens...I think an other option may be to reverse both pickups (keeping them in phase) by switching the wires around, then you would get both the inner coils.