First Build/assembly

Nego

Well, it's not very impressive to assemble a strat these days but I really wanted to post it in an effort to thank all of you at this forum. I'm 16 and have been reading this forum/site for a year in anticipation of trying my hand at building my own guitar. Thanks for all the tutorials, tips, and finished photos that keep me motivated.

I figured a strat would be the best starting point and all parts are interchangeable and I've always wanted one. I've been collecting these Strat parts for a little over a year working part-time to get what I can. I purchased an Alder Strat body second hand off Ebay and got a Strat Neck from a luthier who said it was a spare (it was bhefner co. neck, but with no frets). The neck I believe is in the V Clapton shape and I managed to put on Fender Medium-Jumbo sized frets with a little help. I made my own bone nut out of a large blank after many hours with sandpaper and different gauges of files.

I finished the neck in Clear Satin finish from reranch and the body with Fender 'blonde' also from reranch. While the 'aged' clearcoat did color it much more yellow than I anticipated, I am happy with how the color turned out. I faced tons of problems while doing all of this and the guitar has suffered quite a few dings as a result. The only things I will change on this guitar in the coming months are some adjustments with the bridge (sits a bit too high) and sand the nut down a bit. I also broke one of the Kluson tuners I had and replaced it with a locking one and will eventually replace the rest as well.

19385694gr7.png23012029yo5.png42622909vo8.png

There is not high-e string as I went through two trying to tune to pitch and can't afford another pack for another week or two. I suspect that my nut and the bridge saddle are too high and dropping both might give the string a break. Of course, I'm open to suggestions. :D

The strat has Lindy Fralin's 'Real 54's' pickups, RS Guitarworks electronics, and fender two-point trem. Thankfully, it sounds much better than it looks! I recorded a little bit of noodling with all pickup selections if anyone wants to give it a listen. I must warn you however, I've only been played guitar for a year and a half and it is on a mic unsuited for recording anything: MP3

Edited by Nego

Well, it's not very impressive to assemble a strat these days but I really wanted to post it in an effort to thank all of you at this forum. I'm 16 and have been reading this forum/site for a year in anticipation of trying my hand at building my own guitar.

Granted I can't see your pics of the guitar because I'm at my work computer so I cant judge based on that but I wouldn't be so hard on your self at 16 I would have loved to have already built my first guitar.

I started building my first guitar at 17 almost 18 and I'm only a few months from my 21st B-day and haven't even completed my 3rd one The fact that you stuck it out and did it is what matters who cares that its it strat copy its still something you did with your own hands and that is what is impressive to me my friend!!

:D